Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 6530EliteBook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just got an EliteBook 840 G5 for my son, running win 10 Pro.

The computer would appear to have a fingerprint scanner, yet there are no biometric setting in Device Manager, and Windows Hello is unable to find the scanner either.

I have tried various things, such as altering settings in the Group Permissions, all to no avail.

I have tried downloading all the available updates for Win 10, again, no luck.

Could somebody please help? My son has Tourette's and as a consequence struggles to control his frustration when things don't work as expected. He already smashed one laptop, I don't want this to be another!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ChrisEdu 

Elitebook series has many models/products, not all machines have a Finger print option.

The fingerprint reader and plug look similar. To verify you have a fingerprint reader and not a plug, press the Windows key on your keyboard, select Settings, select Accounts, and then select Sign-in options and follow the on-screen instructions

My EliteBook 840 G5 machine does NOT have . Yours could be the same

Regards.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Wow! I'm amazed that HP would produce a laptop without something as seemingly basic as a fingerprint scanner at this level.

My ProBook G4 has a fingerprint scanner, and it's so useful.

As an aside, the spec sheet for the EliteBook G5 would seem to indicate that the camera is both HD and IR. Is this correct? If so, shouldn't this be compatible with Windows Hello Face?

HP Recommended

I forgot to ask, when you say 'plug' does this just mean the space where the scanner would be?

If the laptop doesn't have the fingerprint scanner, is it possible to retrofit one?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.