Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: EliteBook 850 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new EliteBook 850 G5 and I purchased a 500GB SSD External Drive to use with it.  When I plug it into the USB C connection on the back right of the laptop, I get nothing.  No light or anything.  If I plug it into my docking station it works and if I use the older style USB port it works but nothing on the USB C port.  Any ideas as to why?

Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I purchased a straight Thunderbolt cable and it appears that it is working.  I am assuming that the Samsung SSD that I am trying to use is a 3.1 USB drive and the port on the EliteBook 850 is just a Thunderbolt port, meaning it won't recognize a USB-C connection.  I assumed that they were interchangable, but I guess not.  I have not tested the speed as of yet, although I would guess that the best I would get is USB 3.1 speed.  To any HP technicians that might read this, does this logic seem sound?  Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.