cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
wildfyr98
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

EliteBook 850 G5 USB C connection issue

HP Recommended
Example: EliteBook 850 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new EliteBook 850 G5 and I purchased a 500GB SSD External Drive to use with it.  When I plug it into the USB C connection on the back right of the laptop, I get nothing.  No light or anything.  If I plug it into my docking station it works and if I use the older style USB port it works but nothing on the USB C port.  Any ideas as to why?

Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
wildfyr98
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I purchased a straight Thunderbolt cable and it appears that it is working.  I am assuming that the Samsung SSD that I am trying to use is a 3.1 USB drive and the port on the EliteBook 850 is just a Thunderbolt port, meaning it won't recognize a USB-C connection.  I assumed that they were interchangable, but I guess not.  I have not tested the speed as of yet, although I would guess that the best I would get is USB 3.1 speed.  To any HP technicians that might read this, does this logic seem sound?  Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation