2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

EliteBook 8560p weird patterns on black screen

HP Recommended
EliteBook 8560p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I have a problem with my HP EliteBook 8560p and I would appreciate if someone could help me identify the cause.

PROBLEM: I was working on my notebook when the screen suddenly went black, but the music remained playing. I tried to restart the computer, but since then I was always welcomed by a black screen. The power LEDs and the fan turn on, but the screen remains black (no cursor, no faded image).

IDENTIFIED SYMPTOM: I connected the notebook to an external monitor to see if I can get an image and I managed to see a black screen with intermittent strange patterns showing up (see photo below).

Patterns I can see on external monitor.Patterns I can see on external monitor.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS THAT DID NOT WORK: I tried all recommended fixes, but nothing worked yet:

- remove battery, attach power adapter

- power reset (held the power button for over 60 seconds to drain capacitors)

- leave laptop running on power adapter without battery to charge BIOS battery (charged for over 6 hours)

- check BIOS battery voltage – OK with a little over 3V

- update BIOS (hold WIN + B keys while powering up)

- reseat RAM chips

QUESTION:

- Does anybody have a clue what might be the problem might be?

- Would it be worth repairing on an almost 7-year-old machine?

Thank you for any help!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation