Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a brand new laptop with only few app installed. No matter how idle or low CPU load it is, the fan is constantly working. 

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Hello @core22 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

(1) Create Windows system <restore point>

How to Create a System Restore Point on Windows 10 or Windows 11

(2Download and install BIOS Update

HP BIOS and System Firmware (U70/U71)

01.02.11 Rev.A45.4 MBJul 19, 2022Download

Why should you install the update ?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4123786-2338478-16

Quote: "

Updating the BIOS is recommended as standard maintenance of the computer. It can also help resolve the following issues:

• An available BIOS update resolves a specific issue or improves computer performance.
      • The current BIOS does not support a hardware component or a Windows upgrade.
      • HP Support recommends installing a specific BIOS update.

"

(3Reboot

(4Let BIOS be installed until it's completely done !

(5Download and install / update

Intel Chipset Device Software

10.1.18950.8298 Rev.A0.7 MBFeb 14, 2022Download

Intel Dynamic Tuning

9.0.10704.25570 Rev.A5.7 MBFeb 15, 2022Download

Intel Gaussian and Neural Accelerator Driver

03.00.00.1400 Rev.A0.5 MBFeb 15, 2022Download

Intel Management Engine Components Driver

2208.16.0.2718 Rev.A126.2 MBApr 13, 2022Download

Intel Sensor Hub Components Driver

3.1.0.4565 Rev.A0.6 MBJan 19, 2022Download

Intel Serial IO Driver

30.100.2148.1 Rev.A1.1 MBFeb 15, 2022Download

Intel TXT/ACM Driver

1.18.09.0 Rev.A0.5 MBApr 19, 2022Download

Intel Thunderbolt Driver

85 Rev.A42.5 MBFeb 16, 2022Download

Intel ADL Processor Power Management Package

1000.2022.02.03 Rev.A1.1 MBFeb 22, 2022Download

(6Reboot Windows

(7Test your notebook

(8Please report back

HP Recommended

No matter how idle or low CPU load it is, the fan is constantly working. 

Core22, unfortunately this is correct. This behaviour is by design and inherited from the previous generation Elitebook 1040 G8 (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/EliteBook-x360-1040-G8-constant-fan-noise/td-p/8338...).

I would advise you to disable "fan always on" in BIOS settings, but I think it's disabled by default. Other than that, there are no conventional (HP firmware/driver updates) ways of rectifying this. You'll just have to live with it........ HP has opted for setting their fans to FULL BLAST across all Alder Lake G9 version laptops (for the sake of warranties probably). 

(https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-G9-Firefly-LOUD-FAN-almost-always-running/m-p/84...)

Take care!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Same here.  Clean Windows 11 install, with no apps running.  All drivers are up to date (Windows Update + HP Support Assistant + HP Image Assistant).  

Even when idling, the fan is on par with a low setting hair dryer.  

My company laptop has just been upgraded from EliteBook x360 1030 G2 to G9 and the noise difference is like night and day.

HP Recommended

Hello core22 and avicenne13.

You should upgrade as soon as possible to the new BIOS that addresses the fan noise issue:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp143501-144000/sp143648.exe

Elitebook1040G9bios.jpg

TITLE: HP BIOS and System Firmware (U70/U71) 
VERSION: 01.04.10 REV: A PASS: 1DESCRIPTION:
This package is used to update the supported firmware on HP Business Notebook
systems with a U70/U71 family BIOS. This package is provided for supported
computer systems that are running a supported operating system.
PURPOSE: Recommended
SOFTPAQ NUMBER: sp143648
SOFTPAQ FILE NAME: sp143648.exe
SOFTPAQ MD5: b364464e27ac692ac384a6edb33f57f9
SUPERSEDES: sp143466EFFECTIVE DATE: November 28, 2022
CATEGORY: BIOS - System Firmware
SSM SUPPORTED: Yes

PRODUCT TYPE(S):
Notebooks
HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
HP EliteBook 1040 14 inch G9 Notebook PC
HP Elite x360 1040 14 inch G9 Notebook PC

OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
Microsoft Windows 10 64
Microsoft Windows 11 version 21H2 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 11 version 22H2 (64-bit)

ENHANCEMENTS:
- Updates the thermal management algorithm to improve fan noise.

HP Recommended

Hi

Thank you for the follow up.  I did indeed upgraded to the new BIOS update right away.  I am sorry to say that it still is more or less the same.   

I know this will always sound a subjective end user concern, but I do miss my 1030 X360 G2 by far.

HP Recommended

I have another observation.  When I put the laptop somewhere still, the fan quiets down a bit, whereas if I use it on my lap (idling again of course), the fan starts right after.

I saw some setting in the BIOS called 'Motion sensing cool mode'.  I wonder if the gyroscope understands that the device is on my lap, and starts increasing the fan for my comfort.

HP Recommended

Hi avicenne13.

Well, HP does use options that do pretty much what you described, but usually they're in (HP) control programs. You can read about coolsense, one of the oldest ones they used for this purpose HP CoolSense Technology . It's truly interesting that for your model they decided to put it straight in the uefi settings. Have you tried turning it off?

HP Recommended

Hi TzortzisG,

Thank you for your reply.

I indeed googled it - curious to find the root cause - and it seems that even though the Cool Sense is not available in this model, there is a setting in the BIOS similar to it.  The bigger mystery is that there is not one single document in the whole web, explaining this option in the BIOS setting.

I did check with 3 identical laptops (company issued) where the machines are loud on fan when used on lap (most probably due to a gyro input) and dead silent after 30 seconds, when put on a desk.  I guess the idea is to have the laptop cooler on the users' lap.  I wish there was an option in Windows similar to Cool Sense.

What I experienced when turning this option is that, if the laptop's fan level is 8 when used on lap, and 1 on a desk, when I turn it off, it seems a constant 5.  However this is quite a subjective experience where I will test some more.

One more time, I have to say that, it is quite interesting to find absolutely 0 reference to that BIOS setting.

HP Recommended

One more time, I have to say that, it is quite interesting to find absolutely 0 reference to that BIOS setting.

Yes, if you take a look at the BIOS (UEFI) Setup Guide For HP using BIOSphere Gen 7-9 2022 there is no mention of an option like this, which is weird, but then again your model is not yet included in this guide. I think that this "coolsense on a BIOS level" option is a new addition, and will be documented in the next revision of the HP bios guides (that include the new x360 g9 models).

BTW, since you're testing, have you tried running the laptop with turbo boost off in BIOS? When I first got my probook G8 it was constantly upping the fan, so I turned TB off until I could fine-tune the tigerlake with throttlestop and finally completely take control over the fan speeds. The laptop with no TB was running 60% of the time fanless.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.