Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

The maintenance guidbook for the HP Elitebook 840 G5 states that there are two backlit keyboard options: L14377-xxx (backlit) and L14378-xxx (backlit, privacy).

What is the difference between the models and what does "privacy" mean for the keyboard. I know that the laptop has a privacy screen feature, but what does the keyboard have to do with it?

The background of my question is that I will get this laptop from my employer, but I do not like the keyboard language variant it is shipped with. I want to replace it with a US layout and wonder what I need to order now. In this respect there is another potential problem. It looks like that the US layout version (L1437x-001) is not really available from the usual suspects in Europe. Any Ideas where to order it?

best regards, Jörg

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I think it is as simple is the privacy version of the keyboard has the hotkey to control the privacy screen and the standard keyboard does not. I could be wrong, of course.

My ZBook Studio x360 G5 is a non-privacy screen model and the F2 key (which would control the privacy screen were it fitted) has no hotkey logo on it.

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thanks for the answer.

I initially had the same thought, but it appears to be quite a costly effort for HP to manage different parts just for a different print on one key. That would mean that the F2 key on any of the possible keyboards shoud be able to operate the privacy feature. But I am not sure. So I better get the L14378-001.

Does anybody know a supplier of the US layout version in Europe or with shipping to (Sweden) at reasonable costs. So far I only found it on Ebay from China, but what they offer seems to be not an original part and accordingto the pictures also not the "privacy" version.

best regards, Jörg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.