Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G6 Notebook PC

Recently acquired this notebook. So far everything has been going smoothly. Loaded a clean Windows 11 Pro install. Let Windows Update grab the initial set of drivers and then installed HP Support Assistant and let it grab/update the rest. No leftover devices in device manager and everything seems to behave.

Save for a few middling issues/gripes I have that I'm hoping I can get some help on:

1) Currently there's no battery life estimate. I get the battery percentage but no '<x> hours, <y> minutes remaining' estimate. I've researched this a bit and the only recommendations I have seen are a few Windows registry options and none of those have helped.

2) I have tried to disable some of the remote management settings in the BIOS like CIRA and Intel's AMT as an example. As a home user, these don't serve me much use and I was hoping disabling some of these would help decrease the seemingly slow POST process. However when doing so, it caused a number of huge issues including a glacially slow Windows boot (the spinning circle screen takes a solid few minutes on a good Samsung NvME SSD) and when finally booted, the sound card was completely inop. Had to back out and reset the BIOS to defaults to get things back to a stable config. I'll have to check again what I had disabled at the time but I'm 100% positive I never touched stuff I would think would impact these like built in device toggles and I believe I left the Sure Start BIOS verification defaults enabled. Any idea what may have happened here?

Appreciate any info or help you can provide. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Found a post or two here considering the Intel ME/AMT stuff. Appears disabling Intel ME entirely is where the issue lies. However if I leave it enabled but disable all the other remote functions, things behave just fine. So I've done that and things seem to be ok so far.

Still no luck getting the battery life estimate to be sorted and that's one of my more important concerns here and would really love to have it. Right now I can only guess and generally have to stay close to a power source as the battery seems to be pretty worn on this one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.