Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My brand new Elitebook 840 G6 has the worst screen ever. The viewing angle is terrible, both vertical and horizontal. It is enough to change position sligthly in the chair to be forced to adjust the screen. At a viewing distance of about 50 cm the screen fades out at top and bottom. Without knowing how viewing angles are properly measured I would say this screen have around 10 degres vertical viewing angle.

Also the screen have a shimmering, fuzzy "overlay" to it wich is very annoying. It makes your vision "float" over the text rather then just seeing text.

As far as I can see HP does not state any viewing angle specifications, I guess there is a good reason for that...

At my company there are a handful of the same generation Elitebooks, all showing the same problems.

My Laptop have Shure view, and it is the same problem whit, or without Shure view atcivated, also, adjusting brightness does not help.

This has been reported as an issue by others before: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Screen-Narrow-Viewing-Angle-on-HP-EliteBook-840-G6/...

From that post I understand that HP thinks its all fine and OK. It is not! This is so far from what you can expect from a laptop in this pricerange. If HP cannot fix this terrible screen it is going back and it is probably the last HP equipment I get.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello

so it seems that you have issue with Surre View. even if it's enable and brightness set to maximum ?

bye

HP Recommended

Exactly as described, very bad viewing with Privacy ON or OFF this makes no difference. 

Technical support (Italy) says this is normal for this screen, and they are right it's terrible for this type of screen

My advise, if you do not need a privacy screen (not properly working like on my Elitebook 840 G6): DO NOT BUY IT. 

Unfortunately I cannot bring back the laptop to the store (Italy), because the 14 days period is expired. 

Bad service from HP, I'm really disappointed. 

HP Recommended

It seems my EB 840 G5 has the same problem with SV. Is there any kind of reaction from HP staff meanwhile? Has anybody an idea for an "downgrade" to an SV-less panel?

HP Recommended

@Peter_EB_840_G6, unfortunately no reaction from HP.  SV is terrrible and HP Customer Service said the view is normal for this kind of screen and they are right this type of screen is very bad !! Very unsatisfied and no proposal from HP to find an adequate solution, which could be to replace the screen. I was too late to bring back the laptop to the shop, because 14 days were past after shipment. HP refused to any complaints. I seems they prefer unsatisfied clients, no HP anymore !! They lost a client, who used HP products for more than 25 years !! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.