Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My company has been using the Elitebook  Intel series since the 840G3 version with out issue. We have many G5 and G6 models issued, and within the last two weeks, we have had at least 15 users have their touchpads suddenly stop working. 

We image with UEFI through MDT and use windows 10 Pro.  We have had HP support not give us much help, as the touchpad passes tests during UEFI bios testing. Uninstalling Synaptics driver, replacing it with generic drivers worked on one system, but not the other 14. All systems were updated by the Image assistant. Windows updates current. Its really been frustrating for our users as productivity drops, especially at quarter end.

We have rolled back windows updates, but cannot figure out why some are doing this, while the remaining hundreds of systems, have no issues. ANY help is appreciated. I may add that the pointing stick and upper touchpads controls do work

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @Vinny927 

Have you tested your machines with UEFI hw diagnostics later version 7.9.0.0

If not, install it and then test >> https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp110501-111000/sp110971.exe

Read this generic article and consider the options >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03488148

Please, get one machine that is affected and reinstall Windows on it using HP Cloud Recovery >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05115630

This is HP's factory image with preinstalled drivers/apps and it should work. Compare and contrast what is different regarding drivers/apps/updates

HP Support team is well trained to help with such issues. While HP cannot fix customer's custom images, on a best effort one can compare and contrast your working and non-working devices' images to see what is different. You should also consider some Windows updates...

• If UEFI hardware diagnostics pass and if it works fine with HP Cloud Recovery, then it is a software issue coming from some 3rd party app or some new update/driver - consider this

Hope this helps. Let me know if you still face difficulties.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

thanks for the reply. The majority of my users are remote, especially with covid. A reinstall of the OS restores functionality. I am trying to find out a solution for my remote users, that does not require a reinstall of the OS, or a reason possibly that we can address. I am open for any suggestions, and thank you all in advance. 

HP Recommended

You are most welcome !

So, it's definitely some software issue.

Do you have an active case opened with HP Support, usually starts with 5 ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I have had several, but once the touchpad passes during the UEFI diagnostic tests, HP declines further assistance and request a reimage, which with a corp image and controls, is hard. We had one case resolved, that a very tech savvy user, uninstalled Synaptics and set to use the generic driver and he is still good at three days now

HP Recommended

@Vinny927 wrote:

I have had several, but once the touchpad passes during the UEFI diagnostic tests, HP declines further assistance and request a reimage, which with a corp image and controls, is hard. We had one case resolved, that a very tech savvy user, uninstalled Synaptics and set to use the generic driver and he is still good at three days now

Have you tried doing the same for some of the other users ?
May be you could connect to their machines remotely using some software and do it if they cannot ? Initially you mentioned that 15 are affected, 1 got fixed. I mean you tried doing it, it failed OR you could not do it yet ?

@Vinny927 wrote:

Uninstalling Synaptics driver, replacing it with generic drivers worked on one system, but not the other 14

I am checking something in the background

HP Recommended

I am waiting on the others to reply to me, for a time for a remote session. Some have taken to a bluetooth mouse for solution, so its not as urgent as others. I also have one system that will be back in my possession, the first one that it happened with, so I will be able to simulate it and test better. Thank you again.

Vinny

HP Recommended

I am checking something in the background. Will post back once ready.

In the mean time, please post back if you have any news/updates.

HP Recommended

thank you . I appreciate your time!

HP Recommended

Try the solution from this thread.

I had the same issue and it worked!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.