cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quantology
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Elitebook 8640p won't see hard disk on reboot (but no problem on shutdown)

HP Recommended
Elitebook 8640p

I replaced the OEM (spinning platter) hard disk in my Elitebook 8640p with a PNY Optima 240GB SSD.  When I first installed it, I cloned the original disk to the SSD using a third-party tool and it worked fine.  Now I need to reinstall Windows, and it's not working properly.

I installed Win7 64-bit from the original OEM disc.  Everything works fine until I try to reboot, after which I get the error "3F0: Boot disk not found."  It can't boot from the hard disk, and the BIOS and built-in "Hard Disk Test" utility are both unable to see a disk.

However, it's only a reboot that does this--shutting down, waiting a second, and then booting up works fine.  Likewise, if I get the 3F0 error and hit the power button to turn it off completely, it is able to find the hard disk when it boots up.  

The BIOS and SSD firmware are up to date.  The Windows key is stored in the BIOS, so I can't try with a non-OEM Windows install (though the original, working Windows install was from the OEM disc).  The original hard disk is long gone, so I can't use the clone trick again.  Any ideas?

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation