Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8640p

I replaced the OEM (spinning platter) hard disk in my Elitebook 8640p with a PNY Optima 240GB SSD.  When I first installed it, I cloned the original disk to the SSD using a third-party tool and it worked fine.  Now I need to reinstall Windows, and it's not working properly.

I installed Win7 64-bit from the original OEM disc.  Everything works fine until I try to reboot, after which I get the error "3F0: Boot disk not found."  It can't boot from the hard disk, and the BIOS and built-in "Hard Disk Test" utility are both unable to see a disk.

However, it's only a reboot that does this--shutting down, waiting a second, and then booting up works fine.  Likewise, if I get the 3F0 error and hit the power button to turn it off completely, it is able to find the hard disk when it boots up.  

The BIOS and SSD firmware are up to date.  The Windows key is stored in the BIOS, so I can't try with a non-OEM Windows install (though the original, working Windows install was from the OEM disc).  The original hard disk is long gone, so I can't use the clone trick again.  Any ideas?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.