Level 2
8 4 1 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Elitebook 8770w no post after WWAN install

HP Recommended
Elitebook 8770w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Just purchased a used 8770w, and it did not have mobile broadband which I use extensively. I was upgrading from a worn out 8570w and it had a good and functional (activated) hp LT2522 Novatel e362 broadband module. I have used this module for about 2 years so I know its good. I checked and found an hp document (DA - 13580 Worldwide — Version 8 — September 25, 2012) that states my broadband module is also supported on 8770w. So I removed it and installed it in my 8770w and with it installed the workstation will not boot or even post. It locks up at the hp welcome screen. No key commands work, all I can do is turn it off and on. As soon as I remove the module the laptop boots up normally. I even re-installed the module in the 8570w and it was working great.

So my question is:

Knowing my WWAN module is good, what else could cause no boot or post when I install a broadband module? I have looked at bios settings and don't see anything that sticks out as a possible cause.  

When I look up my 8770w product specs the broadband modules listed do not support 4g LTE, and that's what I want. I find it hard to believe the 8570w would support LTE and the 8770w wouldn't.

1 REPLY 1
hgffrank
Author
Level 2
8 4 1 1
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Very frustrating. All these months and I still have no WWAN installed.

I gave up on the LT2522, after speaking with hp support they were firm that it was not supported by my computer even though I directed them to an hp communication stating it was. I eventually gave up any hope of using that module.

Fast forward to this month, I finally ordered the only other WWAN listed as a supported Verizon module. The un2430. Today it arrived, excited to finally get this laptop in service, I installed the module and it was immediately recognized as compatible and all the drivers installed automatically. I opened Connection Manager and it was initialized and asked if I wanted to activate. I called Verizon to activate, after giving them the device info, Verizon stated that it shows in there system as not found. After a bit more chitchat, the rep stated that it may be too old. He asked if it was a 4G device and I said no its a 3g device. That's when he informed me that since its a 3g device the Verizon system cannot detect it. Verizon no longer supports 3g devices and he said they would not activate it. 

I again checked a few things and seen that hp had a new bios update, so I updated thinking maybe I'd get lucky, but nope, no luck. Still, nothing worked with the LT2522. 

So at this point, I am feeling extremely frustrated, and to be honest, pissed off with HP for this whitelisting BS. I do believe this will be my very last HP computer. I have been a loyal HP customer for around 8 laptops at this point. But no more. They have disappointed me for the last time. 

Is anyone aware of a way to wipe the hp bios for a custom bios?  Or how to remove the hp whitelist? I am absolutely opposed to using a USB broadband module. I will jump brands if I have to. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation