Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I have a weird problem with my elitebook on the Elitebook @Ultraslim dock with 2x Displayport connected 4K screens.

One of the screens does not support the full 4K range and limits the resolution to 1080. Both screens are connected via Displayport, because the docking station does not provide any HDMI - only other videoport is VGA. 

Is this a limitation through drivers, notebooks or docking station? Can I workaround this with an HDMI - Displayport adapteber? How to resolve that issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Help1338 wrote:

... Which CPU should I go for, in order to operate 2 4K displays on the Ultraslim dock from 2013 

@Help1338 

We are talking about CPU here. Firstly your machine has Intel Gen 6 and it is NOT upgradable without buying new Syatem board with new motherboard, new CPU, video and Operating system because all 4 components are on one piece of hardware called System board.

At this stage, we have laptops with Intel Gen 8 and probably we have to wait for Gen 10 (it is coming) to get CPU with integrated video which supports two 4K monitors.

Other option now: There are few docks which support dual 4K monitors on the following link

https://www.displaylink.com/products/find?cat=1&res=3840x2160&num=2

Please read and pick the one which fits your need. The last one on the list is an HP product.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Help1338 

I don't know what is your Elitebook and your Ultraslim docking station because HP has few generations of them. Anyway, I believe it is the following one

https://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=D9Y32AA&opt=&sel=ACC

Your machine may only have Intel UHD video, please check the following to work out max resolution supported

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023781/graphics-drivers.html

Now two 4K monitors (two 3840 x 2160) are much higher than max of Intel® HD Graphics 630 for example

res HD.png

Hope this makes sense. 

Sorry, I don't know your machine therefore just have an example. You can work this out yourself.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

looks like the machine comes with the Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Processor therefore 520. I take it , there is no way to get them to work and I should reallz return the screens and go with 1080P in dual screens.

Which CPU should I go for, in order to operate 2 4K displays on the Ultraslim dock from 2013 

HP Recommended

@Help1338 wrote:

... Which CPU should I go for, in order to operate 2 4K displays on the Ultraslim dock from 2013 

@Help1338 

We are talking about CPU here. Firstly your machine has Intel Gen 6 and it is NOT upgradable without buying new Syatem board with new motherboard, new CPU, video and Operating system because all 4 components are on one piece of hardware called System board.

At this stage, we have laptops with Intel Gen 8 and probably we have to wait for Gen 10 (it is coming) to get CPU with integrated video which supports two 4K monitors.

Other option now: There are few docks which support dual 4K monitors on the following link

https://www.displaylink.com/products/find?cat=1&res=3840x2160&num=2

Please read and pick the one which fits your need. The last one on the list is an HP product.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hello

do you have an Elitebook 830/840/850 G3 ?

I could try to connect two 4K 3840x2160p via DisplayPort, via Ultraslim docking , using an Elitebook 830/840 G5.

I guess you want to run 4K at 60Hz.

let me know if you are interested , so I'll spend some time on this test, as it's interesting to me too.

Another solution, with Elitebook 830/840 G5 and newset G6 , is to connect a Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 docking.

This docking support 1 display 4K 60HZ on DisplayPort + a second 4K 60 HZ display , on the USB-C connector. So for the second display you need either a display with USB-C video input or an USB-C-to-DisplayPort 4K 60Hz dongle.

let me now in case you want to buy a new computer.

bye

HP Recommended

Hello,

I do Currently have the 840 G3 and would be interessted in that test. Will order a new device should it work. 

HP Recommended

Hello

I'm very busy at the moment but I'll try next week with two 4K monitor connected to Ultraslim docking Elitebook 840 G3 and newer.

bye

HP Recommended

HEllo

with Windows 10 1809, I cnnected two 4K display abel to work at 60HZ.

840 G3 Core i5-6300U.

840 display lid closed

1st 4K display set at 3840x2160@60HZ

2nd must be set 3840x2160@29HZ in order to work.

if you set even the 2nd display at 60HZ , it goes down to 1920x1080.

using 840 G5, with latest driver 25.20
it even worse, you can't do the same setting done with 840 G3.

I'll try with a 840 G6 witn an AMD video card

bye

HP Recommended

Same 840 G but connected to a Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 docking.

Then a 4K display connected to a displayPort on the TB3 G2 docking

A second 4K display connected to TB3 connector of Tb3 G2 docking, then a TB3-to-Display port adapter , then a DP cable connected to the monitor.

Plus internal display of 840 G5 , which is even 4K.

All 3 displays were set correctly to 3840x2160 60 HZ.

So the limit of 4K support is on the Ultraslim docking , is not the Elitebook 840 G5.

With Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 Elitebook 840 G5 with Integrated Intel graphics is able to drive 3 x4K display 60Hz.

I just verifyed the resolution and refresh, and opened some windows. I didn't try to run application or videos.

bye

Bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.