Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook x360 1030 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody, suddenly, probably after a recent driver update, the up/down (page up/page down) keys have started working the opposite way.

I mean, usually they were working as up/down keys and only using the FN key they would turn to page up/page down. Now it's the opposite, they usually work as page up/page down and I have to use the FN key to make them work as up/down.

How can I bring the situation back to the previous one?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just a little update to my case: today I updated the BIOS with version 1.27 and the problem seems to be fixed.

Bye!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I believe a change was made due to significant customer demand for that change... you can reset that behavior by modifying a setting in the BIOS, under Advenaced, System Options, "Launch Hotkeys without Hotkeys keypress"... i think that should help your situation

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Hello Dan, and thanks for you reply.

I've searched inside the BIOS but all I've found is this

Bios.jpg

I think you are speaking about "Special keys mapped to Fn + keypress".

I've disabled that and rebooted but nothing as changed about Page Up/Down (while Function Keys correctly have swapped their working mode).

I've also tried to enable that "Swap arrow up/down..." option which would sound the right choice, but also that didn't help.

I think there's something in Windows which is preventing that option to work because only those two keys show this behaviour.

The only solution (which isn't a solution) is to switch on the num bloc function but then the numeric keypad is enabled and I can't write a thing.

So this thing seems very much a driver issue of some sort, but I can't find how to fix it.

I've tried to install different versions of HP hotkey support (is this the right software to look for) to no avail.

This thing is really driving me mad...

HP Recommended

Well it seems I've found the culprit, and that's the last BIOS update, v1.25!!

I rolled back to v1.23 and now the up/down keys are back as they were before.

I thought about going back to the previous BIOS because I tried the keyboard under a Linux distribution and it showed the same behaviour as in Windows, so it could have been only something inside the BIOS.

Also the strange behaviour of the "Swap Arrow Up/down" option, that never worked both if enabled or disabled, led me to think about the BIOS.

Now I just hope that HP will release a fixed BIOS as soon as possible, this is something that I don't think I was the only one to witness, and a very big annoyance for everyone.

HP Recommended

Just a little update to my case: today I updated the BIOS with version 1.27 and the problem seems to be fixed.

Bye!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.