Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook x360 1030 g3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,
I just got my new Elitebook x360 1060 G3 with the 700nit, 120Hz, Sure View, anti-glare display with and I realized, that the brightness strongly depends on the viewing angle to the display. The drop in brightness is ok when you look from the side to the screen but it's pretty bad when the screen is pointing to much up or down.
In normal Laptop mode its ok, since you can adjust the screen such that it is perfectly perpendicular to the line of sight, but you really have to get the angle right, otherwise you see a hard drop of brightness at the top or bottom of the screen (depending on how the angle is off) In tablet mode its worse: when the tablet is flat on the table for note taking, the viewing angle is never perfectly perpendicular and thus the screen is really dim. I have to max out the brightness indoors at normal light conditions to be able to see reasonably well what's going on (or I have to move my Head straight over the screen where the brightness is ok)
Is this the normal behaviour or is there something wrong with my screen?

Thanks for any feedback
Grebos

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello

does your X360 1030 G3 have a HP Sure View panel and you activated it ?

You can enable disable Sure view ,if availale on your laptop, pressing F2 function key.

When Sure View is enable , the viewing angle  dramatically decrease. IT's a security feature againt visual hacking.

check F2 button.

Bye

HP Recommended

Sadly this effect of brightness reduction is also present when Sure View is turned off. (My description above was for Sure View turned off)

I already tested this before and I should have written this in the first post: In the up-down direction, the change of brightness with the viewing angle it's about the same when Sure View is activated, in the left-right direction, Sure View works as expected and makes the screen unreadable. Of course, the colours change somewhat when Sure View gets turned on, but I don't expect a perfect image when it's activated. However, my problem really is when it's turned off.

I suspect, that the brightness dependency on the viewing angle is related to the way the Sure View function is built in the screen and that this also somehow contributes when it's turned off. Maybe most people can live with that and maybe don't even realize it, but for me, it's pretty annoying and somehow a dealbreaker in such an expensive devise.

HP Recommended

Here you can see the change in brightness depending on the viewing angle. At first its without Sure View, in the second half its with Sure View activated. Its especially annoying, when half of the screen is bright and the other half is rather dark.

Grebos

HP Recommended

I have the same exact issue.  So annoying because otherwise it's an amazing laptop.  The only other option is going  for it without the sureview feature.  I feel your pain.

HP Recommended

Does your laptop has an anti glare or bright view display with sure view? According to some reviews and comments from internet, anti glare sure view display seems have more issues on brightness.

But I am not sure, I just want to know more about that, because I am interested in this type too.

HP Recommended

Just received delivery of this laptop today, initially thought it was a defective screen, but it seems from comments here it is like this by design. I'll be returning it ASAP if no solution is forthcoming the screen as it is unacceptable.

HP Recommended

"If an HP Notebook, as described in the SCOPE section, is configured with LED-backlit display with ambient light sensor(ALS), the brightness may be automatically changed when movement is detected around the ALS."

This is working as designed. To disable adaptive brightness feature, the following steps must be performed.
  1. Open the Windows start menu and click Settings.
  2. In the settings window, click System.
  3. The Display menu should be selected on the left. Iif it is not, click Display.
  4. Turn the Change brightness automatically when lighting changes to Off.

https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c06180372

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.