4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Fanspeed ZBook 15V G5

HP Recommended
ZBook 15V G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a small HP workstation laptop, the ZBook 15V G5 with an I7-8750h and a NVidia P600.

While using the laptop without an attached monitor the fanspeed is fine and the fans are not or almost inaudible. However after plugging in an external screen the gpu fan ramps up immidiatly even under no load. Currently the GPU and CUP temps are below 50°C and HW-Monitor shows me, that the CPU uses less than 5W on average and the GPU is also under an average 3% load thus there should be no reason why the fan should be running at this high speed.

I expect that, as with almost all laptops, there is no option of changing the fan profile. Just moving the point, where the GPU fan starts ramping up by a few degrees would already help a lot. 
What I also realized is, that the external monitor runs via the Quadro  while without only the iGPU is running. So my thought was, that maybe the DP signal on the thunderbolt port is sourced by the iGPU and not the Quadro thus leaving it in low power mode and the fan beeing silent. 
Can someone confirm that? I dont really fancy buying a dock just to realize that it does not help me at all. 

If anyone has other idea how to reduce the fan noise they are greatly appreciated.

My previous laptop had the same power usage (45W CPU with 30W NVidia GPU) and was able to run passivly while beeing in idle. Having such a loud fan noise is most definitly not required and I did not expect that at all. Not if I upgrade to a newer generation chip.

Greeting
Unkown

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation