Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ZBook Firefly 14 Zoll G8
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last Thursday my Firefly G8 updated to the latest BIOS 01.01.32 Rev. A via HP Support Assistant followed by a number of Win10 Updates. Since this point in time, I can no longer use my (single) monitor, mouse, keyboard etc. connected to theUSB Dock G5. Interestingly enough, the Dock still turns on and charges my Firefly.

Steps I took in an attempt to correct this:

1.) Downgrade to BIOS Version 01.01.04 Rev.A

-->Result: Still no function of USB Dock beyond charging and on/off

2.) Reset Win64 to factory conditions

3.) Re-Upgrade to 01.01.32 Rev. A by sp113061.exe without the HP Support Assistant

In the process of doing that I noticed that there's a significant pause after the update of the Management Engine Firmware reaches 100%

At this point, the update process enters Phase 2 after a restart without updating any other components.

4.) I ran sp113061.exe again to see if a second try would be more successful. I've noticed that some components that were expected to be updated (I think) like the USB-C controller firmware didn't update. They also didn't update during the second run of sp113061.exe.

5.) When I intermittently connect my EliteBook 735 G6 to get some actual work done, it uses the Dock G5 without problem. The Dock has the latest firmware.

Steps 3 and 4 were done using a classic non-USB-C power supply to take the USB-C port out of the equation for the BIOS update.

If somebody has any further insights I'd really appreciate it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update 2: Session with phone support again. Checked compatibility between Firefly 14 G8 and Dock G5, and yes, they're supposed to be compatible. Next step is now to send in my ZBook for repairs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I have exactly same problem with EliteBook 830 G8 and USB-C Dock G5 and BIOS sp113061. Also tried to rollback bios and update bios over USB, etc... In update process it updates "Intel Converged Security and Management Engine Firmware v. 15.0.10.1447" about 15-20 min and reboot twice after that and starts windows. Some reason it is unable to update Thunderbolt retimer and USB-C controller firmware. I didn't find a solution to update those separately.

MarkusO_1-1618820817229.png

HP Recommended

Update: Opened support case. On the phone with support for about 2 hours. Still no solution.

HP Recommended

Update 2: Session with phone support again. Checked compatibility between Firefly 14 G8 and Dock G5, and yes, they're supposed to be compatible. Next step is now to send in my ZBook for repairs.

HP Recommended

Have the exact same problem and hardware as MarkusO. Even the same firmware 15.0.10.1447 caused the same problem, heck, even the 15-20 and reboots were the same. The USB-C isn't working either.

I spent time looking for other solutions but there is nothing I can find so far, could be a relatively new issue since it's so hard to find anything about it.

We also need to know how this affect new devices.

HP Recommended

We bought 5 new firefly 14 G8 and one of them has installed the Firmware Update. Now we are not able to use the USB-C ports. I don't understand why the Support Assistant is still showing these Update for the clients. We need these notebooks, don't like to send it back before we started to use 😞

HP Recommended

Hi folks !

I solved the same usb-c dockin issue by manual download of "sp113061" pack from HP ftp and proceed to install. After reboot all issue was solved.

Bye.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.