Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Zbook 15 G5, Thunderbolt Docking station G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello,

I’m having issues with a new docking station. What’s weird is I have the same setup at work and have had NO issues whatsoever. However when I use this one at home, it is really messing up my computer (the same computer I use at work and have no issues with).

The issue is that when I plug in the dock - which is not a combo connection, it’s just a thunderbolt plug - it literally just turns off my computer. Plug goes in and my computer screen goes black and power button goes off. I somehow got it to work long enough for me to try to update some firmware but during the installation, before it completed, the computer went black and turned off. Now I can’t plug it in at all. It shuts down my computer every time. If I try to start it up, it refuses to start up OR it will start up but it will quickly shut off again. If I start it up without the dock plugged in, I have no issues. 

I have no idea what to do at this point. Help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

There are 2 versions of the Thunderbolt G2 dock... a version with 120W power supply and a straight usb-c cable and one with a 230W power supply and a combo cable... The Zbook 15 G5 requires the higher power dock because of the need to use up to 150W (that is the brick that came with your Zbook)

The 230W version comes with a usb-c/barrel connector combo cable... The barrel provides the power while the usb-c provides the thunderbolt connection

FYI, the usb-c standard (which Thunderbolt uses) only allows up to 100W to be supplied by the usb-c cable... which is why the combo cable on the 230W version of the dock

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.