Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, I'm running the Zbook Studio G3 for work, on a Thunderbolt 2 dock (the square boxy thing).

The problems I'm seeing is that when connected to the dock, the graphics gets laggy and slow. It's intermittent issues, meaning that a reboot solves the issue, even a logout/login temporarily solves it - which leads me to believe it's a user-scope process doing it. However - the easiest way to replicate is to have the laptop undocked, and then put it to sleep, connect it to the dock (via the combined USB-C and barrel cable) and then wake it - via the dock top button. This usually leads to Windows dragging are laggy, videos hack/lag, and a general feeling of un-smoothness.

I never experience anything similar when not using the dock.

I have two 26" Philips monitors connected via DP, and not any major other load on USB, other than dongles for a Plantronics headseat and a Logi G360 mouse.

It's becoming unusable, and I can't get anotheir third party dock (like the Cable Matters USB C Dock, or something, because the ZBook Studio G3 can't draw that power from the USB-C, but needs the barrel cable.

I'm left with either a crappy dock that makes this performance laptop feel like a crap Windows Vista machine, and I have no options for docking.

I've upgraded all software I can think of, including BIOS upgrades, via HP SoftPack. Nothing makes it any better.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

first thing to do is run HP Image Assistant and update BIOS, drivers... AND dock's firmware - which is suggested by HP IA if it sees a need for the update

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

BIOS seemed up to date. I installed all the recommended driver updates with HP Image Assistant last night. Including an update for the dock. I've changed to a Thunderbolt 3.

Its weird that I didn't get the same updates via SoftPack, where I've installed everything. What's the difference there? 

I'll see how it works out over the next few days. 

HP Recommended

HP Image Assistant uses constantly updated factory images as a source to compare against a user's device... Built-in algorithms then determine if the system being analyzed matches the information gathered from the HP source... These source images can be updated up to twice per week, if needed

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.