cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
StiffBeuf
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Graphic lag and issues with Zbook Studio G3

HP Recommended
Zbook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, I'm running the Zbook Studio G3 for work, on a Thunderbolt 2 dock (the square boxy thing).

The problems I'm seeing is that when connected to the dock, the graphics gets laggy and slow. It's intermittent issues, meaning that a reboot solves the issue, even a logout/login temporarily solves it - which leads me to believe it's a user-scope process doing it. However - the easiest way to replicate is to have the laptop undocked, and then put it to sleep, connect it to the dock (via the combined USB-C and barrel cable) and then wake it - via the dock top button. This usually leads to Windows dragging are laggy, videos hack/lag, and a general feeling of un-smoothness.

I never experience anything similar when not using the dock.

I have two 26" Philips monitors connected via DP, and not any major other load on USB, other than dongles for a Plantronics headseat and a Logi G360 mouse.

It's becoming unusable, and I can't get anotheir third party dock (like the Cable Matters USB C Dock, or something, because the ZBook Studio G3 can't draw that power from the USB-C, but needs the barrel cable.

I'm left with either a crappy dock that makes this performance laptop feel like a crap Windows Vista machine, and I have no options for docking.

I've upgraded all software I can think of, including BIOS upgrades, via HP SoftPack. Nothing makes it any better.

3 REPLIES 3
soccer_dan
Level 8
Level 8
1,195 865 74 130
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

first thing to do is run HP Image Assistant and update BIOS, drivers... AND dock's firmware - which is suggested by HP IA if it sees a need for the update

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
StiffBeuf
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS seemed up to date. I installed all the recommended driver updates with HP Image Assistant last night. Including an update for the dock. I've changed to a Thunderbolt 3.

Its weird that I didn't get the same updates via SoftPack, where I've installed everything. What's the difference there? 

I'll see how it works out over the next few days. 

soccer_dan
Level 8
Level 8
1,195 865 74 130
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Image Assistant uses constantly updated factory images as a source to compare against a user's device... Built-in algorithms then determine if the system being analyzed matches the information gathered from the HP source... These source images can be updated up to twice per week, if needed

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation