Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 1040 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product is the HP 1040 G4. 500G drive 16G Ram. There are multiple issues with this notebook:

1) It occassionally blue screens and the incidents do show up in the image diagnostice reports. We've update the BIOS but that has not helped. HP tech removed some bloatware they thought might have an impact but that also has not helped.

2) In use, the notebook sometimes simply shuts down without warning. Power settings are set such that the notebook should never shut down or go to sleep when on battery or plugged in. I've had the unit shut down while in my lap and also sitting on a desk. We've updated the BIOS but this does not help. Sometimes just adjusting teh tilt of the screen causes this.

3) I have no pattern for the following observation but without warning the touchpad or an attached USB mouse (wired or wireless) all of a sudden becomes unstable. By unstable I mean that you lose control over the mouse for some small period of time or it exhibits a jerky motion. I've tested this with several Logitch wireless mice and with a wired USB mouse so multiple devices (including the touch pad itself) exhibit this strange behavior making the computer almost impossible to use. We've uninstalled and then updated all associated drivers. The updates have had no effect on this issue. We've also updated the BIOS. This can occur with a single open window or multiple open windows.

Any thoughts on any of these 3 issues would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi, I see that a number of people have looked at this post but I don't see any responses or discussion on the 3 issues posted.

Doesn't anyone on the HP team have some insight?

HP Recommended

it is possible that you have a h/w issue with the laptop... if you have updated the BIOS AND all other drivers and HP s/w, then you may have to open a support case 

I would use HP Image Assistant to do all needed updates and see if that works

Also, you don't mention if this happen with a dock or by itself

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.