Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
elitebook 840 g6 ultraslim docking station 2013 d9y32aa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All,

Several 100+ HP laptops Elitebook 840 G6 laptops were deployed, some are using the HP 2013 UltraSlim Docking Station D9Y32AA. The docking station is not charging the laptop while in use  and will not support dual monitor use. I connect a LG UltraGear 38 IPS 38GL950G monitor to it and will show the initial load-up pre bios screen and then a black screen.

It seems to recognize a monitor is connected via the docking station and DP port but just a black screen. I've connect 1 monitor to the DP port a HP Z24i Display and the monitor works just fine but I've noticed it does not charge the laptop. Is the power brick not providing enough power HP part #608428-002 output 19v 4.74A 90w Max? Is the Ultraslim docking station not compatible with the 840 G6? I'm hoping someone can provide some help and clarity here, thank you in advance.

I've read thru some similar issues and there is a firmware update to the docking station SP79015 ver. 2.33 but not sure if that would address the charging issue? There was a similar post, but unfortunately no one has commented on that.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-2013-UltraSlim-Docking-Stat...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

i am not surprised the monitor is not working. the initial resolution the monitor provides back to the port is not supported so the graphics can't properly manage it. to support 4k displays, i  would recommend the usb-c universal dock g2 (w/displaylink driver)

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Yes, the Elitebook 840 g6 is supported by the Ultraslim dock, and should be charging the laptop as well, i would definitely update the f/w first (put the hp monitor on the dp port first), update the bios and drivers on the laptop. If there is no charge at all, then there may be a problem with the dock. The Ultraslim dock is a pass-through dock and power should go directly to the laptop

What is the resolution of the LG monitor? note that this dock (that came out in 2013) does not support 4k resolution

HP Recommended

Dan, thank you for responding. The charging issue seemed to be resolved by restarting and re-seating the laptop. To be honest I hadn't paid attention to that before but from trying to resolve the monitor issue I noticed it. It could have just been it wasn't seated properly when I moved it to a new location for troubleshooting.

Regarding your question on the monitor it has a max 3840 x 1600 resolution 144hz refresh rate. But the resolution can be scaled and has an HDMI port for HDR support. I have ran the docking station with a DP to HDMI adapter off a 4k TV running HDR. But that was with an HP Elitebook 840 and it ran great!

HP Recommended

i am not surprised the monitor is not working. the initial resolution the monitor provides back to the port is not supported so the graphics can't properly manage it. to support 4k displays, i  would recommend the usb-c universal dock g2 (w/displaylink driver)

HP Recommended

Hello

I was using 4K display even with 840 G3 , via 2013 Ultraslim Desktop and DP port,

Then i chnaged computer to 840 G5 , it worked.

After I changed docking from Ultraslim to Thunderbolt G2.

Tomorrow  I should be able to find the time to try with 840 G6 + Ultraslim Docking with 90W PS and a 4K display.

I just have to check with is the maximum refresh rate supported , if it's 30 Hz or 60 Hz.

bye

bye

HP Recommended

Thank you for the explanation, is there a reason you recommend a g2 over a g5?

https://www.amazon.com/HP-5TW10AA-ABB-USB-C-Dock/dp/B07RGC9QSL/ref=psdc_778660_t1_B07X69HY5K

HP Recommended

Yes, HP has 2 usb-c docks available supported by your platform

* usb-c g5 dock - uses std 10Gbs performance and therefore can not support 4k/60Hz monitors... although 1 single 4k monitor might work

* usb-c universal g2 dock - similar design but uses a DisplayLink conversion chip which enables up to dual 4k/60Hz monitors support. It requires a single driver install

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.