Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I have been experiencing issues with deployment of mentioned laptop.

Scenario:

- Using SCCM to deploy image and drivers to computers.

- Driver package has been obtained both ways - HP FTP directory for SCCM driver packages, and HP Softpaq. Failure from both cases.

- Windows 10 Enterprise, 1709 (10.0.16299.15)

Laptop deploys fully and applies the driver package.

When computer is turned on and checked for errors, device manager reports the following:

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 - Code 39

Driver version: 23.20.16.4877

Synaptics TPFHID Device - Code 19

Driver version: 19.5.9.10

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 - Code 39

Driver version: 20.0.2.3

What has been tried - Downloading latest drivers that are offered in 840 G5 W10 driver page, and installing them manually on the computer. When these drivers are applied, the issue does not go away, it remains. This is true for graphics and synaptics devices.

One exception is Wireless device - When device is uninstalled from device manager with the checkbox "Delete the driver software for this device" - enabled, after 2 uninstall rounds, the device reverts to driver version 19.50.1.6 and is in working order. Using "Update Driver" to automatically install latest drivers, it does not find any later drivers and reports that the latest ones are installed, which, obviously, is not true.

Before this, and when using HP SCCM driver package from FTP site, I managed to get to the point where only Wireless drivers were causing issues.  This included additional driver installation step in TS for Intel Graphics (same version as in driver package, but somehow, the second round of driver installation helped and device was not reporting any issues), same goes for Synaptics.

As for Wireless, I added steps in TS with DPinst to inject working drivers forcefully (19.50.1.6), still same issue, Code 39.

What is missing here? Are the drivers incompatible with the 1709 or what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Almost the exact situation here. I only get a: Code 19 for the Synaptics TPFHID Device. This is the driver pack I put into SCCM rzmzr: sp87003.exe

I've tried updating the BIOS as well as the I2C HID Device and installing some other related devices applications. No dice.

Pulled the setupapi.dev.log for device manager auto driver install. Here's the important parts:

{Plug and Play Service: Device Install for HID\SYNA3071&COL02\5&4F0E64E&0&0001}
Install Device: Configuring device (oem25.inf:hid\syna3071&col02,SynTPFilterHID_Device.NT). 08:17:35.766

Install Device: Configuring device failed : 0x0000000D (0x13) 08:17:35.766

{Configure Device - exit(0x0000000d)} 08:17:35.766

Unable to configure device, falling back to standard device installation.

{Update Driver Software Wizard exit(000004c7)}

[Exit status: FAILURE(0x000004c7)]

Update: doing a driver roll back puts the device in a non-error state but the driver is from 2006 and this isn't doable via automation. Plus, not sure how buggy this driver will be.

HP Recommended

This is still an issue.

SCCM driver package has been updated on 27.04, so I tried that one.

The situation has changed a bit now.

Inel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is still under Code 39.

This driver is installed as package, by .cva recomendations for silent install.

What is interesting, each re-deplyoment returns different result, for example, Bluetooth device is not installed at all now.

Reverted Wireless driver to the 19.50.1.6

Downloading HP image assistant to update the drivers - for sure, reports that one driver is missing, and one is out of date.

Intel Wireless Bluetooth - 20.10.0.9 - SP84774, not installed.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265, outdated, recommended 20.0.2.3 - SP82384.

Bluetooth driver installed just fine.

Wireless - different story, error message: "Exception: Configuration Error: Unable to apply configuration: wifiApp"

This is not even about computer deployment anymore, the dreaded driver can't even be installed manually, using HP tools pointing to the correct driver.  What is this?

HP Recommended

Please contact HP Technical Support.  They will be able to tell you if this is a known issue and how to resolve it.  They will give you a case number so you can track the issue.

https://mycrm.support.hp.com/en-US/SignIn?ReturnUrl=%2Fen-US%2Fcreate-case%2F

Please let them know what you have done up to this point.  Support will want to document the version of SCCM that you are using and if you are utilizing the HP Management Integration Kit (MIK).  

On one of your 840 G5 systems run HPIA and press Analyze.  Once it has completed the Analysis, press, Ctrl - Shft - S.  This will display a dialog so you can save a ZIP file of you system configuration.  This information will be used to troubleshoot your issue.

Again, make clear the steps you have taken when using SCCM inconjunction with HPIA.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

Did you get a statement from HP Support? We have the same problem... 

HP Recommended

I was having this regarding the not having mouse or keyboard control when an image is deployed from MDT.  I did a bunch of troubleshooting and found that removing the HP Pointer Device Driver, and the Synaptics VFS7552 WBF Touch Fingerprint Driver from my import and adding the synaptic mouse driver from the 840 G3 did the trick.

HP Recommended

I am using MDT only to do imaging but I was able to resolve the issue. 

I downloaded the SP package from HP. Created a VBscript that does the following:

1. WMI queary to verify the driver matches the model

2. Copies all of the install files to C:\Windows\Temp

3. Runs the Setup.exe from the temp directory. The install will not work unless it's run locally. 

4. Reboot

I then created an applcation inside of MDT, calling the VBS. 

I then added this to the task sequence as an application install. 

Yes I know it will run on every machine but it doesn't do anything unless the the model matches the condtions in the VBscript. Hope this helps someone else. 

HP Recommended

I found a way to automate the removal of the device and driver.

1.  Install Download WDK for Windows 10, version 1803 
  2. Copy %WindowsSdkDir%\tools\x64\devcon.exe to an SCCM package
  3. Create a script with the follow commands: 
    devcon remove "HID\VEN_SYNA&DEV_3071&Col02"
    devcon dp_delete oem17.inf
    devcon rescan
  4. Run the script during OSD to remove the device/driver and scan for hardware changes.

Tested working on 1709 Ent x64. Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Hi TedMT

I'm also having the device problem with the Synaptics TPFHID - Code 39 (Corrupted Registry) 

First two things I have to add to your post:

At the link you gave, there is written that you also need to install Visual Studio. This is actually not needed. The "devcon" utility can be use without that.

Second, if running the command in a prompt "cmd", then you need to run it as Administrator; otherwise it won't work.

Now to the point:

I tried what you sugested, the first command worked and the device was deleted.

Howerver, on the second line of your command I got:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64>devcon.exe dp_delete oem17.inf
Deleting the specified driver package from the machine failed
because it is in use by a device.
devcon.exe failed.

Should I delete another device? I will try to start in safe mode. By the way, I'm using WIndows 10 Enterprise.

Best regards

Josef

HP Recommended

Jmeile76, what system are you using to automate this? SCCM?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.