Top Student
7 6 0 2
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 8460p touchpad and buttons sometimes cut out - tried tapping top left corner

Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The problem I have is that every so often the laptop seems to disable the mouse touchpad.

It seems to happen usually when the computer has gone into sleep mode and then I wake it up.

It also disables the two bottom mouse buttons, the touch stick and the two top mouse buttons still work fine.

I've had numerous HP laptops and so I was fully aware of the tapping the top left of the mouse pad to disable/enable it, which is the first thing I tried (although on this laptop there doesn't appear to be any markings, dots or lights to show where the point is to disable/enable the touchpad.  When the touchpad is working properly if I double tap I can see a yellow light appear - but when it's disabled in this way there is no yellow dot there at all.

Checking on the synaptics software in Windows it shows the touchpad as being enabled - it's apparently a "Synaptics LuxPad 7.5 PS/2 Port 3 - Driver version 19.0.19.65 - Firmware Version - 7.5" and disabling/enabling it in that makes no difference.  Also when the touchpad is disabled the green dot on the synaptics taskbar icon doesn't show anything.

I've found that if I click start and restart when the computer reboots the touchpad is working again fine.  If however I chose start and shut down or sleep and then manually turn the computer back on neither of these actually re-enable the mouse - it has to be start - restart to turn the mouse back on.

I've also tried it in Linux (Puppy Linux) and in Linux it doesn't have the same problem at all, so I'm guessing it's some software issue with Windows when it enters sleep mode.

1 REPLY 1
Tutor TechSingh Tutor
Tutor
9 9 1 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 8460p touchpad and buttons sometimes cut out - tried tapping top left corner

Go to Device Manager > right click Touchpad Driver (synaptics) > goto advanced tab and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power " and check if that helps

Thanks,

I'm an HP Employee. The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Best Regards,
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation