Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 8470p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks

I bought a refurbished  HP EliteBook 8470p with a i7 CPU and the dedicated AMD graphics about about a year ago and  it was working fine for everyday use (web broswsing, email and the odd download ect) with no obvious problems. However a few days ago when I decided to try an older game I recently bought it crashed after about 10-20 minutes of game play.

It had been playing fine up to that point on the default settings but after that it just shut down with no warning. I thought it might be a problem with the power supply but while I was checking I noticed the computer was a lot  warmer than it should have been, this was the first time I've had it that hot.

When I tried to turn it back on it seemed to boot up but the screen stayed blank. I've tried a few other things to atempt to diagnose the fault including plugging it into a monitor and switching it on without any ram but there was no change in its behaviour.

In all the attempts I've made the computer will start up, fan and hard drive spining up, power lights coming on  ect but the screen stays blank and even without any ram installed there are no error/blink codes with the lights or speaker.

Given all of this I suspect that I've managed to some how fry either the CPU or the graphics chip, though I hope I haven't and that someone can make a suggestion on a possible remedy.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.