2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

HP 8470p won't start up blank screen possible overheat issue

HP Recommended
HP 8470p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks

I bought a refurbished  HP EliteBook 8470p with a i7 CPU and the dedicated AMD graphics about about a year ago and  it was working fine for everyday use (web broswsing, email and the odd download ect) with no obvious problems. However a few days ago when I decided to try an older game I recently bought it crashed after about 10-20 minutes of game play.

It had been playing fine up to that point on the default settings but after that it just shut down with no warning. I thought it might be a problem with the power supply but while I was checking I noticed the computer was a lot  warmer than it should have been, this was the first time I've had it that hot.

When I tried to turn it back on it seemed to boot up but the screen stayed blank. I've tried a few other things to atempt to diagnose the fault including plugging it into a monitor and switching it on without any ram but there was no change in its behaviour.

In all the attempts I've made the computer will start up, fan and hard drive spining up, power lights coming on  ect but the screen stays blank and even without any ram installed there are no error/blink codes with the lights or speaker.

Given all of this I suspect that I've managed to some how fry either the CPU or the graphics chip, though I hope I haven't and that someone can make a suggestion on a possible remedy.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation