Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it just me or does the Elitebook x360 have issues with the Active Pen? I can pair my pen just fine and even configure what the button does on the top i.e. open OneNote, etc. but the screen doesn't recognize the actual pen input for writing, etc. 

I seem to remember something that a recent update destroyed any compatibility with the pen, is that true? If not, what are the work arounds and how can I start using a $60 pen I just purchased to use with my $2k laptop? 

Just put in a fresh AAAA battery (Really, HP? AAAA???) 

I did find it odd that the battery doesn't seem to be in tightly and appears to be moving around, is that normal? I guess I am used to the Surface Pro pens that seems to be superior in this aspect.. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

hard to tell exactly what the problem is, but the Active Pen is a wonderful writing instrument along with the WACOM digitizing technology in the x360 1030 panel. if you can not even see the mouse pointer move as you hover the pen over the display (slightly above the glass), then there may be an issue with the batter, maybe the pen. the shipping pen has a pieve of paper that prevents it from being active during shipping and quickly discharging. please, make sure the battery has nothing between either end and the pen contacts

the BT pairing is stricly there for use by the button on top

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I am having precisely the same issue with my active pen.  I know it's not the battery because it's pairing just fine.  However, I cannot get the screen to acknowledge the pen tip. 

Were you able to resolve this?

HP Recommended

Again, there are 2 batteries on the Active pen. the small one on top for the bluetooth activation by the button on top of the pen. in the body of the pen there is a AAAA battery with a small paper embedded to prevent a discharge after manufature and during transit. Open the body of the pen and remove this tab to have the battery make full contact

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I did remove the paper you mentioned.  But just to be certain, I opened the pen back up and started messing with the pen again, just because I never did find this second battery.  I wasn't able to get the bluetooth lights to come on so I was convinced we must be talking about a different pen. 

Then I reassembled everything and it miraculously began to work.  So hats off to you, sir, mystery somewhat solved.

HP Recommended

My pc is an elite X2 pen used to work, tehn batteries went flat, eventually foud all batteries adn obtained replacements (NOT EASY) but now the bluetooth part works but eth touch screen  nib part does not.  screen works fine with finger, mouse, touchpad so what is wrong please. adn how do I fix it? Send the thing back to HP Again (3rd time?)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.