Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook X360 1030 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Purchased HP USB-C dock P/N: 924850-001 for HP EliteBook X360 1030 G2.

Dock works fine when you open the computer's lid and power it on and then you close the lid.
However the laptop itself will not power on while the lid is closed.

I should be able to set my laptop down, plug the USB-C connector in, and then power on the laptop with the power button on the side of the laptop while the lid is still closed and monitors are attached. Similar to the slim dock.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP Support seems to be very aware of this issue.
The only solution they have is that you need to get the 90W Thunderbolt 3 dock instead of the USB-C dock.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

That is because of the POST (power on self test) sequence. It is part of the BIOS routine.

I have never heard of one that would power on while closed.

You can set the Windows operating system's power options to allow ignoring the lid being closed or open, but that will not take effect until the operating system is running. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Every EliteBook ever created with a dock will power on whle closed and docked? There's even a button built into the previous Slim docks for this specific reason.

HP Recommended

The only solution they have is that you need to get the 90W Thunderbolt 3 dock instead of the USB-C dock.

HP Recommended

@JulezMBI wrote:

Good info.

Any update to this?

HP Recommended

We found a solution...

There is a setting in BIOS, "Power on when AC detected" that should be enabled.  Oddly enough, that allows us to power on while docked.

However, there is a related issue - the laptop will not come out of sleep when docked.  If anyone has a fix for that, would sure appreciate some detail...

Thanks

HP Recommended

We found a solution...

There is a setting in BIOS, "Power on when AC detected" that should be enabled.  Oddly enough, that allows us to power on while docked.

However, there is a related issue - the laptop will not come out of sleep when docked.  If anyone has a fix for that, would sure appreciate some detail...

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

18 months later, do we know more? I face the same issue using the HP EliteBook x360 1020 G2. Manipulating the company laptop bios is unfortunately not an option for me.

Best regards

HP Recommended

The fix for us was a combination of a BIOS update plus a different (newer) dock.  HP had identified issues with the docks we were using.

While still not 100% reliable, it works much better.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.