Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 1040 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

We have the Elitebook 1040 G3 and UltraSlim Dock using Windows 7.

I am using 2 HP Compaq LA2205wg monitors that one monitor is connected to VGA and the other Monitor is connected to DVI that is connected to a StarTech display port. Display Adapters: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520.

The firmware of the Docking station: 2.30 which is most current firmware.

After imaging the laptop and we dock the laptop on UltaSlim Docking station you only get the one monitor which is the monitor that is connected by VGA. The DVI/Display port acts like it is not connected to a monitor or anything. When you go to Control Panel > Display > Change Display setting > you see that the laptop is set to mirror what the 1st Monitor has, then on the second monitor if you look at "Multiple displays" you see that it says "Disconnect the display".  When I change it to  "Extend desktop to this display" Then hit Apply and yes, I get all 2 Monitors working which is good, I can restart/shutdown the laptop and I will get 2 monitors. This is not something we want to do every time I dock my laptop.

The next problem that relates to the problem above is when we undock the laptop and it falls asleep for 20 minutes or more we come back to the first problem which is when we dock the laptop to turn it on the lid open or close it still only displays one monitor which is the VGA.

We have tried numerous number of things and everything that we have tried doesnt seem to be working so i'm coming to this community to see if we could get some help for this issue.  If you need anymore info let me know.

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

i would suspect the dp-dvi adapter. it seems the dock is not seen the monitor at all so proper signals are not passing thru. If you have a monitor with a dp port to test, that would certainly confirm the problem

hp sells a dp-dvi adapter in case you want to try something else

F7W96AA    HP DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying,

We tried the StarTech display port with our Folio 9480/9470 laptops on the same docking station, and that comes up how it normally should. I'm pretty sure it is not the display port, but we do have a couple of HP DP-DVI adapters, and we did try it, and I kept getting the same results that I was getting above when I put the 1040 on the docking station.

HP Recommended

Ever find a solution to this problem?  I have the same setup using the HP DP to DVI adapters and it works fine when you boot the PC, but bring it back and try to dock it, all screens are blank.  My monitors are S24C200 Samsungs with VGA and DVI inputs.

HP Recommended

Since the 9480m works correctly with a dvi monitor connected to the ultraslim dock's dp port with a dp-dvi adapter, then, there is likely an issue with how the new intel graphics sees the external display. This could be a BIOS, video driver, and/or other causes, even firmware in the laptop

Can you run Image Assistant (www.hp.com/go/clientmanagement) and see what it says about your laptop? It compares (by default) to an often updated equivalent image maintained at HP Support

If IA shows your unit is up to par in terms of updates, then it seems like a HP Support case is warranted to look into it

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I get an error with the Image Asst when the analyze is running.  

"There is somethign wrong with the target image conf file and it cannot be processed.  ensure you are using the raget image conf file created by HP Image Asst.

", hexadecimal value 0xFFFF, is an invalid character, line 9441, position 29.

I know these PC's are reimaged by our IT staff so there could be something missing on my end.  I did run the HP help and support which says everything is up to date.

HP Recommended

Did you guys manage to solve this? We are having issues with 1040 G3, Windows 10 and dual monitors. Tried updating DP Firmware and Graphics drivers but it does not help..

HP Recommended
No not yet.
HP Recommended

unfortunately no we do not have a solution as of yet. We have been try different drivers to see if that will do the trick from the HP website. 

HP Recommended

I'm sorry for asking questions that might already been answered, but I´m new to this forum 🙂

Have HP acknowledge the issue? Since we started to use Elitebook´s we have had problems with more then just the 1040 G3 modell. I´ve been runing around and upgrading the firmware´s of all our dockingstations like a little maniac.

And for the 1040 G3 I´ve spent many hours just like you guys, trying diffrent drivers and what not.. Would be nice if HP actually acknowledge the issue and starts working on a fix..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.