Level 2
29 13 1 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

HP Elitebook 820G1 Bios setup confusing

HP Recommended
Elitebook 820G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been asked to repurpose an Elitebook 820G1 - Product ID J7A41AW#ABA.  The unit was returned from a departed employee, hard disk was removed sent to HR, new hard drive has been installed.  This unit was originally set up by my predecessor 2 or 3 years ago but he has now left the company and left no notes about this unit.   

I pressed F10 to check out the bios settings and found that this pc has a name(a really old name) along with options to enter bios as a guest or one of two specified users.  Luckily I recognized one user as an old admin user and had the correct password to get into bios.  I want to remove the old name as well as any users and passwords but when I select the Security tab I find that under Password and Credentials,  setup bios admin password, password policy and change password are greyed out/inaccessible.  Likewise, under User Management, the User Management, Set Security Level and Restore Security Level are greyed out as well.  If I go to the bottom of the page Utilities, I find that Antitheft tools shows Intel antitheft as active and Hard Drive tools are greyed out.  I've done bios setup on other pc's and once you supply the bios password you are free to make changes.  This unit seems to have another higher level of bios administrator but I don't see any way to even enter it.  

Another question is that it seems to want to configure RAID with a small internal hard drive card.  Never seen RAID before on a laptop or desktop, just on our servers.  I've downloaded the service manual but nothing mentioned about setting up RAID.  If I go into advance section of bios,  I see Raid has been selected, but all the settings on this tab are also greyed out and inaccessible.

What am I missing?  How can I get this unit set up in our normal manner - correct name(or no name at all) and no bios password?   I can't find anything in any manuals or on the HP web site about any of this.  
All I want to do is install a new hard drive, set up bios as per our current specs and get this ready for another user.
I would appreciate some help on this.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation