Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 830 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm having a hard time to downgrade my BIOS from version 01.14.01 Rev.A to an older version (01.08.01 Rev.A).

More details

My laptop decided to upgrade the BIOS by itself (or perhaps it was through Windows Update) to the 01.14.01 Rev.A version. The problem is, I tested every BIOS updates in the past and the one I find most stable is 01.08.01 Rev.A. Every other newer update going forward just makes my laptop very slow and hot (this version included). I work in a very silent environment and every the laptop gets hot, it rams up the fan which bothers me and other peoples in my office a lot.

I tried to downgrade the BIOS as I did last time after upgrading, but I always got a message saying : "BIOS update denied by system policy", which is very strange because I checked everywhere in the BIOS and I did not found any option that would block a BIOS update. I even tried reset the BIOS to default settings by I'm still facing the same problem with the same message.

My questions :

Can you please suggest a solution to my problem ? Maybe I'm missing something...
Moreover, my machine is still under warranty, if the problem cannot be fixed by myself, can a technician come to my place and fix it ? (I live in Paris, France by the way).

Thanks for reading !

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi, have the same question. Automatic update downloaded and installed latest 01.14.01 Rev.A UEFI to my 840 G5. I'm using external thunderbold 3 EGPU Gigabyte Aorus Gamin box for gaming, and to make laptop stable i undervolt CPU using throttlestop. But recently HP support software downloaded and updatet my UEFI , so my undervolting don't work. CPU is hot as hell, easy 95-100C in one two minutes of working or gaming and than throttling and lowering to 1,2-1,9GHz. So HP please, add option to disable undervolting block to new UEFI, or give UEFI downgrade possibility, coz new 01.14.01 Rev.A UEFI don't allows to downgrade. I did't knowed that UEFI has autoupdate, and will block undervolting.

HP Recommended

This was my situation at the time. I sometime hook my laptop to a Razer Core X, but most of the time I do a lot of CPU intensive programming task and when the CPU isn't undervolted, it heats up and throttle so bad that I couldn't do my works as I used to.

For a solution, I have good news and bad news for you.

Bad news is : it seems like there isn't a way for an user like us to downgrade the BIOS ourselves.

Good news is : if you're still under warranty (most EliteBook have 3 year warranty so I hope that you're still covered), you can request HP to change the motherboard for you. Hopefully one with a lower BIOS version. 

Hope this helps you out. Feel free to send me message if you have any questions about this 🙂

HP Recommended

Yep, i have warranty, but this is ridiculous situation. Why i need to go and bother HP service center techguys to replace motherborad if it is working fine. HP, like some other manufacturers, can simply update UEFI to put there new option eneabled by default - "Lock CPU core undervolt" or something like this. Who needs undervolt simply disables it. Another people will not know about it. Perfect solution for big problem. Coz in this case I, as long HP elitebooks/zbooks customer (two years ago f*ck*d by HP with zbook 15 + AMD GPU and win 10 drivers and gave HP second chance buying this 840 G5 in top configuration), don't see another way to go from HP and get as my next laptop lenovo/dell/asus or something else with amd ryzen and not Intel, another support level without stupid decisions of manufacturer.

HP Recommended

I don't think you will have any luck with undervolting with a new laptop on the market.

As far as I know, every laptop that have Intel 10th Gen or later are is locked for undervolting (maybe some exception with gaming laptops but in that case why bother use an eGPU).

Ryzen CPU can be undervolted but there still isn't a stable/officially support tool like Intel XTU or Throttlestop yet.

I still think HP is stupid to force users to upgrade their drivers (including the Bios), especially for business laptops like ElitBook cause a lot of user like me uses it for work. But don't forget Intel are also the one to blame.

Undervolting is already dead whether we like i or not.

Best we can do is find a laptop that won't throttle or overheat underload (which is tough if you also want it to be thin and light).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.