Level 4
105 60 1 2
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Elitebook 840 G1 and SoftPaq accuracy

HP Recommended
Elitebook 840
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a number of HP 840 G1 units.  I am now trying to use HP SoftPaq 4.4.0 to try to manage drivers and am unclear on a number of items.  I am focused on network devices for the moment.

Device Manager identifies
Wireless: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
Wired: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-LM

Starting with the "7260", the support page offers 3 wireless driver pages\sections

1 - Intel 7260/3160 Wireless LAN Drivers
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-840-g1-notebook-pc/5405360/s...

2 - Intel Wireless LAN Driver
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-840-g1-notebook-pc/5405360/s...
The release notes indicates the "7260" as a supported model.

3 - Intel Wireless LAN Drivers => with an "s" on the end.
The release notes indicates the "7260" as a supported model.

Softpaq is offering the latest from each of the first 2, and after a couple goes not updating either.  It also shows the 3rd driver in the section of "Not Installed". (I have chosen not to install most of the HP tools)

I am of the opion that the 19.10.13.1 RevP (SP87799) dated 5/22/18 is the latest for the 7260 device. I have manually installed this package from the support downolads and it reports 18.33.12.4 (4/29/18) in device manager, but as above when opening the package.  

I am not clear if I can or should remove the other drivers, or even how as they are not explicitly defined in device manager or Add\remove in Programs and Features.

For the Ethernet "I218" I see I have both an
Intel I217LM/V and I218LM Gigabot Ethernet Driver for Microsoft Windows and a
Intel I219LM/V Gigabit Ethernet Driver for Microsoft Windows

Seems like I have the latest 12.15.23.7 Rev A installed, but again not clear about the I219 driver.

Other:
HP SoftPaq download on the driver site is for version 4.0 not the current 4.4

SoftPaq is telling me there are newer versions of drivers I do not have installed
Intel Bluetooth Driver (Windows 7) - release notes do not include this for Intel Wireless BT 4.0 Adaptor and Intel Wireless Bluetooth.  If this is a new section like above, it's not clear.
Intel Management Engine (ME) Firmware Component - not installed
Seems like if a driver is in more than one "label" (like the 7260 wireless and realted BT) that softPaq may propose the latest one from each grouping.  

I believe there are some discrepancies (1 cited) between thedriver versions listed in device manager and in SoftPaq)

So, I am looking to provide feedback on this tool and validation on what are the correct items to be using.  Any suggestion re old drivers is also welcome.  If there is a way to list installed drivers with out the overhead of softPaq's 2.5GB of data that would also be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
RangerZ
Author
Level 4
105 60 1 2
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried to reinstall drivers using SoftPaq 4.4 on a 840 G1 as above.  There are 3 passes shown in the graphic below.  

SoftPaq Summary.PNG

Pass 1 finds 2 wireless drivers and a fingerprint driver.  It indicates that it installs all drivers.  I can see in device manager the driver version does not change for the wireless.

Pass 2 finds 1 (new) wireless driver and the same fingerprint driver.  It indicates both are installed.  I can see in device manager the driver version does not change for the wireless.

Pass 3 finds the original set of drivers to install, however this time I noticed that the V19 driver from the second go appears as "Not Installed".  I did not bother to install the drivers on the third pass.  I chose to manualy install the latest Wireless driver 19.10.13.1 and Fingerprint driver.

The wireless driver installs manually and shows a new driver version in device manager.  Rerunning SoftPaq now shows no other Wireless drivers.

The fingerprint driver is another issue and discussed here.

I am of the opion that those packaging the drivers are changing the "Name of the group" and that this causes SoftPaq to see multiple items to install as opposed to revisions of the same item.

For the 840 G1 I am of the opion that the issue impacts the:

7260 Wireless (4 names)

7260 Bluetooth (2 names)

1218 LAN (2 names)

Synaptics Touchpad\Mouse (2 names)

0 Kudos
RangerZ
Author
Level 4
105 60 1 2
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

More issues here:

*HP Universal Camera Driver shows as installed in Device Manager but Sofpaq says its not installed.  SP64824

Also the device does not show in device manager with the name or version in the softpaq.  It shows as SunplusIT, 11/4/13, V 3.4.8.33

* Upgrades of the Synaptics (Validity) Fingerprint Scanner SP81058 (and likly others) will not install over older versions (not a SoftPaq issue per say).  It gives errors related to exsisting fingerprints even if there are none enrolled.  NOTE: if you do not use this feature and do not wish to see a error in device maanger, you can disable the fingerprint reader in BOSI.  If you want to use this you need to install the "HP Client Security Manager".  Be aware that this adds (opens) user configuration in the BIOS.  It also has a password feature and seems to have impacted Mozillas abiolity to manage passwords.

* Having issues reliably installing SP87799 for N-7620 V19.10.13.1  over 16.1.52.  I have needed to go thorough Device Manager and "update" the driver pointing at the SP87799 folder. NOTE: This also reads 18.33.13.4 in device manager, not 19.X

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation