Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 n100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought a SATA connector and ribbon cable for my HP ENVY to connect a 2nd HDD/SSD drive. Unfortunately it is not an original HP connector, it is from Aliexpress.

(There is an m.2 SSD with the OS)

The connected 2nd drive is not detected in Windows10, nor in device manager or Disk Management.

There are two SATA HDD connectors on the motherboard, the 1st one is using an original connector, the 2nd one is the chinese one. Original is "TMT" branded and the chinese one is "HSB" if it matters.

The Question is why is the 2nd HDD is not detected? when I check the 2nd connector with the original HP, it is also not detected by W10.

"HSB" 2nd SATA connector and ribbon cable (Aliexpress)"HSB" 2nd SATA connector and ribbon cable (Aliexpress)  adding a 2nd HDD on HP Envy 17 nXXXadding a 2nd HDD on HP Envy 17 nXXX

When I Insert the Aliexpress ribbon cable and SATA connector to the 1st connector connected with an HDD (which is working fine with the original HP connector), the laptop is not starting at all. I push the power button, but nothing happens. If I pull out the SATA connector of the HDD, the computer starts fine.

So the 2nd HDD connector is not working with any of the SATA cables.

Is it because the TPM has enabled?

Should I clear the TPM?

How can I check if the cable is faulty? (the original HP cable was also not detected in the 2nd connector)

Thank you in advance !

(Please do not answer me to use only HP original parts. Next time I will.  Also with the reboot, reinstall, take out battery etc. tips. I am not an english speaker, sorry for my bad english and grammer, etc.)

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Look in Disk Management for a drive without a drive letter. See if it shows in bios

KenW
HP Recommended

"The connected 2nd drive is not detected in Windows10, nor in device manager or Disk Management."

I double checked it and there is no 2nd SSD Disk in the management window's list, with or without drive letter.

There are 2 disks, Disk0 is the main ssd with the OS , recovery partition etc.(m.2 connector), disk1 is the 1st SATA connector, and there is no 3rd one.

Now I pulled it  out from the 2nd SATA connector,  and put it back in an HDD Caddy Optibay. This one is a 2nd (Samsung) SSD drive. Now it is not detected anymore.

i don't know, but possibly the cable damaged the SSD drive. Samsung Wizard not detected, Crystal Disk info also not detected. Using a USB-SATA external enclosure also not detected.  :indifferent::Crying:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.