Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Firefly 14 inch G8 Mobile Workstation PC IDS Base Model
Microsoft Windows 11

Similar issue to: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-G9-Firefly-LOUD-FAN-almost-always-running/td-p/8...

The fan on my G8 Firefly 14 inch was almost constant running.

There were usually some updates waiting for reboot and once rebooted, time to time, the fan calmed down for a while.

I have checked the CPU and it does not seem as issue with processes, since its average utilization is 2 % to 10 %.

It is few days it runs constantly, neither reboot solved it nor BIOS update solved it, it's noisy & it's loud.

But one thing solved it for few minutes - I took it and push it out of the window to cold winter 🙂 That is what leads me to assumption that there is something wrong with temperature detection or with some cooling profile.

In BIOS the option to keep fan always on is not selected, so, that should not be the reason (even though I tried to selected it just to test that there is not twisted logic regarding of this).

My power mode settings are set for "Best power efficiency".

One more thing - I have found out that if I press the notebook right next to "Caps lock" I can stop the fan for a moment until I release the pressure.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So, after struggling with the described issues for several months, the authorized service representative arrived to company I work for and replaced whole motherboard. From that time the issues are gone.

But I have to say, that the issue with fan seemed to disappear the day before the motherboard exchange and I have noticed there were some drivers updates applied automatically during that day before the motherboard was changed. I was not just capable to find out what drivers were changed exactly to explain here more details.

Anyway, as I said, the change of whole motherboard with fan helped to fix the issues (BTW: the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics tool does still show those 964 RPM instead of 0 RPM in case the fan does not rotate).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

There is a HP Support Communication - Customer Advisory that may assist you in resolving this behavior. 

You can find the document and softpaq download by following this link: HP Commercial Notebook and Mobile Workstation PCs - Fan runs at high speed when computer is idle | H... 

HP Power Manager Version: 3.0.16.0 from the document appears to be the latest version available for the HP ZBook Firefly 14-inch G8 Mobile Workstation PC using Windows 11. 

You may also want to look into using HP Image Assistant to scan your machine for any other missing HP Driver or Firmware updates. Windows and HPSA updates sometimes miss crucial updates offered by HP. 

You can find the latest version of HP Image Assistant and User Guide by following this link: HP Image Assistant | HP Client Management Solutions

*HPIA Currently supports Windows 11 21H2 and 22H2 for the HP ZBook Firefly 14-inch G8 Mobile Workstation PC

HP Recommended

Thanks, I went through all your suggestions and downloaded all what was possible and applied it without any success.
In BIOS I read that my fan rotates at 116% speed (even though that the maximum can be 100 %) - that is fun fan 🙂
Today I discovered that the trick I described earlier, of pressing the left side of the laptop just next to Caps Lock to stop the fan from spinning, no longer works. That's interesting.
I have also realized that if I do nothing and let notebook for a while so that even my monitors go to idle regime it stops the fan eventually.

HP Recommended

This is my current situation - it is not fun with such fan 😞
image.png

If the fan physically stops, it shows 964 RPM as base (instead of 0 RPM). I thing it is not normal.

Alohim_0-1678093270008.png

HP Recommended

Here you can see depicted how wrong it is even in BIOS.... It shows 106 % regarding of fan workload which is ridiculous since the maximum should be 100 %... 😞 But it can make sense if we count with the fact that it shows 964 RPM (instead of 0 RPM) at the time when fan does not rotate.
Alohim_0-1678105211901.png

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue and its a new laptop. I just bought it less than two weeks! I would never have bought hp if I had know this issue would occur

HP Recommended

So, after struggling with the described issues for several months, the authorized service representative arrived to company I work for and replaced whole motherboard. From that time the issues are gone.

But I have to say, that the issue with fan seemed to disappear the day before the motherboard exchange and I have noticed there were some drivers updates applied automatically during that day before the motherboard was changed. I was not just capable to find out what drivers were changed exactly to explain here more details.

Anyway, as I said, the change of whole motherboard with fan helped to fix the issues (BTW: the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics tool does still show those 964 RPM instead of 0 RPM in case the fan does not rotate).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.