JoshN1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

HP ProBook 4530s Turning On Briefly with Internet Key Pressed

HP Recommended
ProBook 4530s

Hi all,

I've read the numerous articles on people that are having a similar power issues with their ProBooks and have tried the 40-second discharge method with no luck. The laptop had been sitting a while before I got it but I think it did used to work fine. I have bought a new power adaptor with the correct voltage and amperage for the laptop (18.5V and 3.8A) and the laptop is exhibiting some strange behaviour. Without the battery plugged in, the charging light turns orange for a second when power is applied but then the light turns off after. I can get the power button's LED to turn on by pressing the Internet globe button but it only turns on for a few seconds and then turns back off (the CPU fan doesn't even spin). 

When the battery's plugged in, the charging light goes solid orange and eventually solid white. Then, after I left it overnight charging, the charging light now doesn't come on at all with the battery in. The laptop can be started up the same way with the battery in, by pressing the globe button.

Does anyone have any suggestions at what could be causing this? It doesn't seem like it should be due to the battery because it doesn't start up properly with that removed. Could it be a connection between the power board and the motherboard? Quite a few people have suggested this kind of thing could be caused by a faulty BIOS chip but the behaviour of my laptop seems different as the charging light isn't flashing, so I'm hoping that isn't the problem 🤞.

Thanks for your time, expertise and any suggestions,

Josh

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation