Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Probook 440 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Probook 440 G5 is abouth 6 months old. Recently, I've started to check the temperature of the laptop by using HWMonitor. I find that the laptop's temp is around 60 -70 degree C when in normal use (browsing the web etc), which I considered to be quite high. Even when idling. the laptop's temp is never below 50 degree C., it would stay around 60

degree C. May anyboday tell me if this is normal or not, because I searched the internet and found out that most of laptops' temperature in idling stayed aroung 35 to 45 degree C

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

CPU temperatures of 60-70°C when operating at modest workloads are perfectly normal and are nothing to worry about. Most notebook processors are specified to operate up to 100°C, so you have a considerable margin between your idle and maximum temperature.

Notebook cooling is always a compromise. The faster the fan runs, the louder the noise and the more power is used spinning the fan at that speed. The system attempts to balance cooling with the heat energy to be dissipated rather than aiming for the lowest temperature possible at all times, as that provides the best balance for the user: the lowest possible fan noise and energy wastage at modest workloads, but more effort expended in cooling when the processor is working hard.

I'm using a different notebook model to yours, with several applications running as I write this. My CPU temperature has varied from 60°C to 85°C as I have been writing.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying. However, I still find it really weird that my laptop is running that hot. According to the review of Notebookcheck or Laptopmedia (https://laptopmedia.com/review/hp-probook-440-g5-review-fast-cheap-portable/#temperatures), this laptop's temperature when idling should be under 40 degree C and the maximum temp when under stress test is not higher than 75 degree C. I ran several stress test with Intel Extreme Utility and the result show that the temp of my laptop can easily reached 90 degree C in the very first minutes (plugged in). I will try to downgrade my BIOS and see what happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.