Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello community,
A few days ago I’ve updatet a HP Probook 470 G1 with Windows 10 x64. The laptop works fine with this OS. No problem so far.

After this action I’ve checked the HP Probook 470 G1 support page for hardware drivers and found a lot of new drivers. I’ve downloaded the most recent available drivers for almost every system component. The list grew to allmost 30 drivers, including the new BIOS firmware, L74 Ver. 01.47.

First I’ve updatet the BIOS without a problem. After installing about 20 drivers, Windows told me after a reboot that the OS was seriously damaged and had to revert to a earlier restore point.

Windows restored itself, I after that I discovered that the HP DVD-RAM UJ8DB doesn’t respond. For example the eject button in Explorer doesn’t work. I have to force open the DVD bay (by paperclip) an when I load the player with a random audio CD nothing happens.

When I shut down the system, wait for a while and boot Windows again, the audio CD (sometimes) plays normal. If I eject the CD and remount it, the player is dead again.

In Device Management I see no problems.

Maybe the installation of the HP drivers wasn’t such a good idea. Luckely I’ve made a backup of the whole system before I started the driver installation. But after this partition restore I still have the optical drive problem. So I guess the BIOS update is the cause of this problem.

Questions:

- Is it better to rely on the drivers that Windows chooses or the specific HP drivers?

- Must I downgrade the BIOS version to overcome the optical drive problem?

- If yes, how can I do that succesfully? I don’t want a bricked laptop.

- If yes, which BIOS version must I use?

- If no, is there another way to make the optical drive work normally again? I have found a similar problem on the HP-site.

See the link below.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/DVD-drive/td-p/5700128

Regards!

sgrhill

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.