Level 1
7 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP Probook 650 G1 Random Shutdowns

HP Recommended
HP ProBook 650 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have an HP ProBook 650 G1. The problem I am having is that it will be working just fine and out of the blue will just shutdown. I am baffled by the cause. I am able to immediately power it back on. I have ran all of the hp diagnostics and everything passed. I also tested temperatures & ran a stress test. Everything checks out. It has a new hard drive and a fresh install of windows 10 pro 64-bit. I have posted on this forum a couple times before and received zero replies, but I figured I would give this forum one last shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is the notebook on battery or external power when it shuts down?

0 Kudos
gregt1985
Author
Level 1
7 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Both...I have tried it with just the adapter & no battery, just the battery with no adapter, and with the adapter and battery both hooked up.
0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you have any warranty remaining I would contact HP to enquire about warranty service.

It is possible that both the power adapter and the battery are bad, though this feels a rather unsafe and unsatisfactory hypothesis because it involves two separate failures. That said, they are both the components most likely to have issues.

The system is around three years old, so the battery may well be rather tired if it is an original part. Power adapters do not always fare well as they age; they tend to run rather hot and are designed with fairly slender margins to keep the adapter small and light.

If you have access to another power adapter, it is worth trying that in case the original adapter is part of the problem. If you run without the battery then that is totally out of the equation.

It may well be that the true root cause is nothing to do with power. I assume that you've run the HP Diagnostics and no errors are reported there. If you have nothing else to lose (i.e. you have no warranty and the system is otherwise unusable) it might be worth opening the system to reseat the memory, hard disk/SSD and any other socketed components. It would also be worth cleaning out the fans - a sudden shutdown might have a thermal root cause.

0 Kudos
gregt1985
Author
Level 1
7 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I actually have a few of these identical systems. I have already tried everything you mentioned. I swapped batteries and ac adapters with known good ones, pulled and replaced ram, cleaned the fan, and blew out the entire system, as well as checked the temperature readings. When the system shut down temperature readings were all fine. Like I said, I am baffled at this point as what it could be. Thanks for your help though.
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation