Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I work at Colorado Springs Utilities and I'm having an issue with using the HP Softpaq. For over a month it keeps saying that it can't reach the FTP Site. I found a post the addressed this problem last year, but I want to check to see if there are more updated links that can be used. Since we are regulated I'm only allowed to use what they permit or deem acceptable.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@cogarcia 

Not sure.  I am on the West Coast - SDM still works for me; I realize that may not help you in any way.

If you have not done so, be sure you are using the latest SDM version.

According to the latest information, the SDM product should (might?) still work for older products.

What??

The Download Library marks SDM as "EOL July 2019"

White Paper on the subject (document may or may not load - access appears to be temperamental).  If the file does not open, try copy/paste of the address into your browser address bar (URL).

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/whitepapers/SDM_EOL.pdf

Partial Excerpt of the "End of Life" PDF file content:

Confidentiality
This document can be shared internally & externally.

Introduction
HP is retiring HP SoftPaq Download Manager (HP SDM) on July 31st, 2019, it will be replaced by HP Image Assistant.

HP Image Assistant is a free tool that aids IT Administrators improve the quality and security of their PC Windows image by diagnosing the image, identifying problems, recommending solutions, and analyzing their PC’s readiness for migration between Windows 7 and Windows 10.
HP Image Assistant can be downloaded at the HP Manageability website.

HP Image Assistant (HPIA)

break...

Excerpt continues:

Will I be able to continue to use SDM?
Yes, SDM, will continue to work and have access to updates (SoftPaqs) for older
products launched before July 31st, 2019. SoftPaq Download Manager will not be tested
with new product launched after July 31st, 2019. HP recommends using HP Image
Assistant to access updates to new products.

My Original Posting information that shows SDM download:

At this writing, the latest (and Last) SDM version is 4.4.0

Driver Management for Business class computers (SDM)

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Softpaq Download Manager - HP Software installations / updates / management

SDM will find-install-update needed HP software and drivers for your business class machine, including, when applicable, the fussy BIOS update.

HP SoftPaq Download Manager (SDM)

sp87158

04/20/2018

Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

sp87158.exe

sp87158.html

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

Once the SDM software is installed, the Help document can be accessed within the software or on disk:

• Open SDM software, Click the Blue Question mark “?”in the upper left of the main SDM window.
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP SoftPaq Download Manager > Select language appropriate .chm file

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, what to do?

If you can do so, it is time to migrate to the HP Image Assistant.

I have not yet migrated to HPIA; at the moment, I cannot provide any personal perspective on the software. 

From the Image Assistant Web page:

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

HPIA has the same functionality as SDM (Download and install drivers / create driver packs).  Additionally, HPIA is able to run an analysis of your image and compares it against a reference image from HP.  HPIA will then offer recommendations for updating your client.  There is a knowledge base built into HPIA that also helps in determining the order for drivers installation.  If you pick multiple drivers for installation, HPIA will use a knowledge base to determine the order the drivers should install so that potential conflicts are avoided.

Hopefully this has given you some things to consider regarding HPIA.  It is a very helpful tool.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately I don't believe that this government organization has approved the use of HPIA. Therefore we must still use Softpaq. As far as I understand we will be using softpaq with all devices that currently have it. They haven't really said what the plan is for devices that will have to use HPIA.

HP Recommended

@cogarcia 

Companies and related organizations are sometimes slow to move to new software - it is not uncommon to use proven technology for as long as possible.

At least now you have something to report at next your staff meeting - and a viable solution to offer for consideration.

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.