Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
god6000at Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre Pro 13 G1 + HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 65W Dock not charging

hp spectre pro 13 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello, we have a brand new spectre. first the device is amazing, i love it.

but we have the following problem with the  HP Elite Thunderbold 3 65W Dock, if the Spectre is connected over Thunderbold Cable and on the Dock with Thunderbolt/Power combination cable connector, One 4.5mm power input

every Device is working, Network is working, USB, both Display Ports are working, but the Spectre does not charge.

i have installed the newest FIrmware Update  for the Thunderbold Dock Driver

and i have updated BIOS, Intel Thunderbold Drivers on the Spectre.

We have changed also the Thunderbolt 3 Dock with an new one, same problem.

one thing, on the front the light is off and i cannot turn on the spectre with the button.

any ideas, hints???

and yes i have connected the spectre over one of the 2 thunderbold ports, because the spectre has only 3 usb-c ports but 2 of them have thunderbold technology.

i see also that the tb3 dock is recognized in windows at the thunderbold software.

kind regards,

sebastian

15 REPLIES
Jasta Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

same Problem here. Also got that issue with the non functional Button on the tb3 and the charge function which doesn't work.

Cannot be in the sense of HP to deliver a Dock about 200€ which doesn't supports a Charge For the Device.

I also updated the bios, the tb Firmware and the tb Controller.

Thanks in advance for any response.
0 Kudos
_dh_ Tutor
Tutor
6 2 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Exactly the same problems here.

Experience with HP support, quoting, no kidding or exgagerating:

(Support was called in Switzerland and forwarded probably to an East Europe support center)

• "Yes, this is a known problem."
  • To the question why the two devices are still sold as compatible on the HP websites:
    • "We cannot do anything about it"
  • To the question on what happens next (we were expecting to be able to return):
    • "You can still resell the Thunderbolt Docking station"
  • We wanted to escalate this to the next level
    • "No, there is no way to escalate this"

We then contacted HP Sales and they at least promised to look into the matter.

HP support has become really really bad. 

dh

0 Kudos
god6000at Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hello, our Account Manager told us the following:

the Elite USB-C Dock and the Thunderbold Dock are not working with the Spectre Pro 13, because of too low power input.

Workaround: use USB-C Travel Dock (yes, this is not the USB-C Dock) and use the normal AC Adapter.

Another Information from HP:

In addition to the charging limitations, there are other issues affecting Trump and ACE, which means:

-        SaffronAN is not Compatible with the Thunderbolt Dock

-       SaffronAN is not Compatible with the USB C Dock

We will remove  all compatibility mentioned on QuickSpecs , CPL Roadmap, SCM etc.

We understand this is not an acceptable situation, and we are working on a solution to offer Docking for Saffron.  Will keep you posted.

Short term, we can propose  the Travel Dock as only possible solution.

i don´t have any words for that. :(

0 Kudos
MTCorp Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I still wonder how in the hell they on HP still keep telling us on their webstore that this Elite TB 3 65w is compatible with Spectre Pro 13 G1 while even staff @ HP Finland seems to know that problem.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
784 34 78
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Explanation of what you are seeing

USB-C is a new standard that tends to be all things and fix all issues with usb. however, it is also complex and very confusing and can supports a variety of implementations. So, usb-c standard has 2 versions:

* usb-c 3.1 gen1 - compatible with usb 3.0 in all respects except for new connector

* usb-c 3.1 gen 2 - compatible with usb 3.0 +

- PD (Power Delivery) to charge a device up to 100 watts

- support for protocols other than usb, like thunderbolt, displayport, pci-e pass-thru (really thunderbolt)

- higer performance

So, guess what the Spectre Pro 13 supports? gen1, which does not have PD or other protocols support. That is why you can see devices, wich appropriate drivers with the usb-c dock, but not charging

Commercial product today supporting both USB-C dock and TB docks are HP Elite x2 1012 tablet and EliteBook Folio G1. The HP ChromeBook 13 also supports the usb-c dock (not TB dock)

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
JakeAHP Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@soccer_dan: I'm fine with charging my Spectre from a separate charger - keeping that in mind, do I have any options if I want to use a thunderbolt dock for a couple of 4k displays, wired network and audio?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
MTCorp Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for your response. Got to live with facts.

But: is there anyway to operate Spectre from the dock? Is it possible to use Spectre with the dock when cover is down?

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
784 34 78
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In order to have the TB dock and 2 4K (UHD) displays you need to have the laptop hardware that supports USB 3.1 Gen 2, which allows Displayport dn PCI-e to run on top of the USB stack. The Spectre Pro x360 does not have that capability. Sorry.

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
JakeAHP Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply!

You mention x360, however, we're talking about the HP Spectre Pro 13 G1 - does your claim regarding Usb 3.1 rev 1 vs rev 2 still hold?

HP.com states the following on the Spectre Pro 13 G1 page:

Ports:

3 full function USB Type-C™ ports (data transfer, power delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.2 out and HDMI 1.4 out through dongle) of which 2 offer Thunderbolt™ support (docking, charging and USB 3.1)

I'm having trouble aligning that info, with what you're telling us here. False promises on the spec sheet?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation