Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook 15 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The thunderbolt dock was working.  I was gone for a week.  Came back and plugged laptop into dock.  No longer works.   The dock will charge the laptop, but none of the devices are recognized.

Drivers are up to date.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Not sure if this is of any help, but I would try the following to start with.  Not sure to what extent "No longer works" means:

1) When everything is powered off, does the power button on the dock turn on your computer?  Possible connection issue?

2) In my BIOS -> Advanced -> Port Options, Thunderbolt is currently set to "PCIe and DisplayPort - User Authorization".  You can try that or possibly "No Security".

3) When you plug in the Dock, the Thunderbolt Software icon should pop up in the taskbar, verify it does.  You can also load the program manually as well.

4) Double click the Thunderbolt Software icon, you should see if the dock is attached to one of the ports.  Hopefully it is there.  Click on the dock under the port and click on the "Connection Status:" result, mine says "Connected".  I click on "Connected" and set the dock to "Always Connect".

HP Recommended

The doc will not power up the computer when everything is shut down.   I have a spare doc and cord from a coworker that will not work as well.

So that leads me to believe there is an issue with my security settings or the port on my computer that the doc plugs into?

HP Recommended

possibly, yes.  I wouldn't doubt that even the power button on the dock requires some drivers / handshaking / serial protocol instead of a simple connection turn on.

I would still try making the changes I listed just to see if anything changes.  You may gather some useful information that is easy to change back later on.

What happens if you power on the laptop by itself, then plug in the dock once windows has loaded?

Which BIOS version are you using?

HP Recommended

After updating everything and looking into all the software update possibilities, I physically moved the lightning cable up slightly.  It was a connection issue between the doc and the lightning cable itself.   😕 

Thank you for the imput.  Just a heads up if yours stops working after being moved.  Just jiggle the cable....

HP Recommended

First of all, please look at the revised Customer Advisory.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05178033

First, we need to update the System BIOS to 1.11 for ZBook 15 G3/17 G3 and 1.14 for ZBook Studio G3 notebooks. In order to update the specific driver or firmware, the dock should be attached as well. The CA above include when the dock should be attached.

Even though you have updated all of drivers, firmwares and System BIOS to the latest ones and have any problem, please contact HP Support.

Hop this helps.

HP Recommended

I have experienced the exact same circumstances.  I was on vacation for a week, came back and connot get my Thunderbolt 3 to work.  It will only charge the computer 

HP Recommended

Check that the thunderbolt cable is not broken, common problem.

HP Recommended

Resolved issue by unplugging only the power to the Thunderbolt dock while computer was on.  For some reason other sequences of powering it down unplugging cables, etc. did not work.  Thanks for post.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  I think the dock goes into some extended sleep mode when plugged into for some reason.  I use Linux and boltctl would report that the dock was in 'wait' power state.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.