Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP community. I have a Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2  connecting two external monitors to a HP Elitebook x360 1030 G3 laptop. All working nicely for over two years. Now just about three years old and the monitors have stopped working. The dock still works for the keyboard and mouse, but the monitors do not.

At home a have a different dock with a single monitor and the laptop is fine there.

So it seems to be a driver compatibility issue for the office setup. I've updated firmware on the Dock and the Laptop (as of 1st October 2021) - can anyone advise next steps/options?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

FYI IT_Winsec and any readers. The Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2 dock actually doesn't take HDMI cables - it just has two DisplayPort ports and one VGA. So my final solution is to pilug HDMI directly into my EliteBook and have the other monitor (which is using the DisplayPort standard) connected via the Thunderbolt dock (the dock is still my source of Power/PSU and my keyboard and mouse are connected through here).

I assume route cause is loss of support for the VGA standard and will close the thread. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

While it is less likely, it may be the monitor cables stopped working, it may be the USB-C cable (connecting dock and PC) stopped working... It may be the dock itself got corrupted, too.

- Could you test directly connecting the monitor(s) to the notebook ? Does it work this way?

- Could you try connecting a different monitor to the same dock that you suspect has issues ?

- Is your dock still in warranty ? You can check it here >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty

- Have you performed any changes recently of setup, settings in BIOS or in Windows ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi IT_Winsec

What I did get working was to unplug the old style (blue? VGA I think) monitor from the Thunderbolt dock, leaving just the DisplayPort one connected, then connecting a different HDMI monitor to the laptop (So one DisplayPort via Thunderbolt Dock, one HDMI directly) and this worked.

Technically the display driver seems to think 4 are connected also (when setting physical location of each up) so it seems to no longer register the VGA one and I wonder if newer drivers have come in that make this defunkt.

So I'm going to try and put the HDMI through the Thunderbolt dock next time I'm in the office and see how we go! 

HP Recommended

FYI IT_Winsec and any readers. The Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2 dock actually doesn't take HDMI cables - it just has two DisplayPort ports and one VGA. So my final solution is to pilug HDMI directly into my EliteBook and have the other monitor (which is using the DisplayPort standard) connected via the Thunderbolt dock (the dock is still my source of Power/PSU and my keyboard and mouse are connected through here).

I assume route cause is loss of support for the VGA standard and will close the thread. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.