112fan
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 230w and HP Zbook 17 G5 issue

HP Recommended
Zbook 17 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since a few weeks I have an HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 230w w/combo cable with an HP Zbook 17 G5 setup for a user. It generally works great but there are a few issues.

Sometimes when the user has been away from his desk for more than one hour (sometimes shorter) the laptop is on but doesn't react to any keystrokes, mouse clicks / movements when connected to the dock. The user needs to open the lid and manually press the powerbutton of the laptop or the "Zzzz" button on the keyboard (connected to the dock) to get it going again. It looks like some sort of semi-sleep mode but the laptop is on and so is the dock. The screen is black when this happens but the Numlock LED on the keyboard is on.

The dock has up-to-date firmware through the HP Firmware Installer and the laptop has also the most recent drivers (according to HP Support Assistant). 

The user is getting tired of this problem. It happens multiple times a day and most of the times it is even shorter than one hour when it happens, more like 15 minutes.

Specs:

GPO setting for lock: Lock desktop after one hour

Does someone has an idea what the problem(s) could be?

I've also put this question up on the SpiceWorks forum, you can get more information there: Link

Note: English is not my native language so I hope that it is clear what I wrote 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
EndeavorOne
4 2 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you cheched the Advanced settings, under Power Options?

To accesss this menu, go to the control panel, all control panel items, power options, edit plan settings, then select Change advanced power settings. From this menu you can adjust the Sleep  and Allow hybrid sleep settings. I would suggest turning changing the settings under Allow hybrid sleep  to the following:

On battery: Off

Plugged in: Off

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
112fan
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've checked those settings and the option "Allow hybrid" isn't even available. In the mean time we've set Screen in Settings to Never on both On battery and Plugged in (this was already set on the Sleep setting) but this doesn't make any difference. The user told me it is now around 20 minutes when the laptop goes in the semi-sleepstate.

0 Kudos
Pegaus00
Level 1
9 8 0 2
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same trouble here. I would update BIOS and Firmware of the dock - I have done this for most my users now and haven't heard anything since - but it could be an issue still.

112fan
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We've maybe found the solution for the semi-sleepstate. In the power plan we've made the following change:

"Power Options - Change plan settings - Change advanced power settings - Intel(R) Graphics settings" set both battery and when connected to power options to "Maximum performance".

Since we've made that change the laptop didn't go to into the semi-sleepstate for the past week. I'm gonna keep monitoring if it keeps working and will share my findings.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation