Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Thunderbolt docking 230W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

My brand new 15 Zbook G5 machines came with a Thunderbolt G2 230W dockingstation.

I am using Displayport-DVI adapters for my older 1920x1200 24" monitors. Windows is not able to recognize 1920x1200 as a valid or recommended screen resolution for these screens when it goes through DP-DVI adpater. Tested with another 24" with DP port, and it instantly worked. So if you have any idea on how to get the DP-DVI adapter to work properly, im all ears.

So, I wanted to update the Dock firmware to latest version, but all you guys list on the driver page for the G2 Thunderbolt docking, is audio and network drivers? When checking my 15Zbook G5 I find a Thunderbolt firmware update tool, which just proclaims it is unable to identify the dockingstation being connected, and asks me to plug it in... This while displaying image on two screens, and using usb and ethernet via the dock.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI Dzabler.

HP got back to us eventually with a new test-driver from nVidia. This solved the issue for us.

Although the package installer failed for some reason.

Just manually going to device manager, and update driver, forcing it to use the one from that folder worked.

If you drop me your email, I'll send you an invite to my OneDrive share where you can find a copy.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

The Thunderbolt dock firmware you found is for the older Thunderbolt 3 dock - in effect a "Thunderbolt G1" dock (though HP did not use that designation). At this time there is no firmware update for the Thunderbolt G2 dock. There have been Thunderbolt firmware updates for quite a few systems recently that might not be factory installed on your machine, but your issue is likely nothing to do with the Thunderbolt NVM firmware.

Indeed, your issue is likely nothing whatsoever to do with Thunderbolt or the dock's DisplayPort hub. If you install the drivers for your older monitors that may well straighten things out.

If that doesn't straighten out the issue, check for updates to the graphics driver(s) used on your system, also any BIOS update - though I doubt these have anything to do with it.

HP Recommended

Thanks David for your quick response.

I have been doing some more testing and it turns out, with a Thunderbolt3, first gen dock. It immediately picks up both screens with 1920x1200 resolution as recommended. Tried with 3 different DP-DVI adapters, but got the same results. It works when I replace the G2 docking with a G1 docking in the exact same setup. So I believe there is something about the G2 dock that is not quite right.

Got same results on a brand new out of the box (HP Windows image) machine as well, so the problem is not in our deployment.

If I am not misstaken there is bidirectional communication between the displayport hub and the monitor that should feed back the native screen resolution to the machine. Makes me think there is a bug in the DP hub. I have never had to install ini files for monitors in later versions of Windows, this has never been nessesary before..?

Updated all device drivers recommended by HP support as well. nothing changed.

HP Recommended

I would report your findings directly to HP Support; they might not get noticed by the correct people here.

As you say, this is strongly suggestive of a firmware issue with the DisplayPort hub in the dock. New dock firmware will hopefully fix this in due course.

Modern versions of Windows usually correctly identify the resolutions supported on connected monitors using the EDID. I believe DisplayID is supported on monitors that support that newer standard, but I might be mistaken over that. Often Windows is able to correctly identify a monitor using one of these mechanisms, then download the correct monitor driver automatically using Windows Update, though this does not always work. In your case, manually installing the correct driver for these monitors might sort things out.

There are freeware utilities around that allow you to display the EDID data of the monitors connected to the system; I have used one in the past, though I cannot remember which one. Your favourite search engine should be able to help. It would be interesting to try one of these with the non-working Thunderbolt G2 dock and working Thunderbolt 3 dock to see if there is any difference in the data. If there is, that might help HP and whoever made the DisplayPort hub chip in the Thunderbolt G2 dock identify what is wrong with the Thunderbolt G2 dock in your setup.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Two DP->DVI converters from HP are connected to the Dock G2 and then to my two 24" 1920x1200 displays. The screen resolution is in this case (maximum) 1280x720. If I disconnect one the DP->DVI converter the other monitor switch to 1920x1200. Every adapter works without the influence of the other correct. Together they are working only with a reduced and not nativ resolution.

Same behaviour with the internal VGA connector. If I connect one of the monitor analog, the other with DP->DVI converter reduces the resolution sometime to  1920x1080, sometimes to 1650x..., but always not native.
I spent a lot of working time to investigate this problem and I am frustrated. This is a professional notebook and I cannot use it in my home office with the Dock G2. In the company it is working also with a Dock G2 but with DP to the displays. No problems.

HP Recommended

HI Dzabler.

HP got back to us eventually with a new test-driver from nVidia. This solved the issue for us.

Although the package installer failed for some reason.

Just manually going to device manager, and update driver, forcing it to use the one from that folder worked.

If you drop me your email, I'll send you an invite to my OneDrive share where you can find a copy.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the driver. Yes, it works.

I can use my Dock G2 with two DVI-Adapters or with the integrated VGA port.

After that I tried to install the latest offical driver from NVIDIA homepage for the Quattro P1000.

It works, too. I don't know the differences between the HP modification and the offical NVIDIA driver.

But for mie it is a solution 🙂

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue.  I'd appreciate a link to the driver also!

HP Recommended

Send me a message with your email, and I'll share it with you as well.

HP Recommended

[Personal Information Removed]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.