Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP USB-C Dock G5

Hi. I'm using HP USB-C Dock G5 with my MacBooks. The capability of this dock with Macs were generally great. However with the new release of MacBooks with M1 chip, the monitors cannot be detected. Tried both HDMI and DP. Hope this can be raised to development team to request a new firmware update. Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

i will raise the issue internally... thanks for bringing it to us

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Hello

using a Windows 10 PC , ctry to update the firmware of the USB-C Dock G5 to latest available.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-usb-c-dock-g5/27767205

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp105501-106000/sp105673.exe

bye

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm just curious, does this docking station support DisplayLink? I haven't found the information anywhere. I know that G2 does support it but how about this G5?

That will solve the problem.

Thanks,

Jakub

HP Recommended

The usb-c g5 dock does not have a DislayLink chip like the usb-c universal g2 dock... it is a passthrough dock where Windows will load drivers for the components as needed

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

OK, thanks for info.

HP Recommended

Did the firmware update fix the issue, are you able to use the G5 dock with the M1 Macbook? I'm not using dual monitors, so specifically do we know if the G5 works with only one monitor? Cheers!

HP Recommended

Of you need only one monitor, the G5 is ok.

HP Recommended

I have this setup with latest firmware (June 2020) and two DP daisy-chained HP Z24n-displays working without any problems on Windows (Elite x2 G4) and MacBook Air (M1). Both devices are charged properly and the displays are adressed but - thanks the the M1-limitation - the Mac just mirrors both screens while I have a three-display-setup with the Windows machine.

HP Recommended

I have a similar setup at the moment and just get the dual mirror display problem.  HP P223 using the HP G5 USB C Dock with them plugged in display port and it works great on my Elitebook 85 G7 but doesn't work with the M1 mac it just does the duplication. I have installed the new DisplayLink Manager app as well and made sure their issues are all in line with their support. I also used the Windows tool to update the Dock Firmware to the latest one in January 2021. DisplayLink Manager shows "no monitors detected"  I have this issue running the stable M1 Big Sur and the M1 Big Sur 11.3 Beta 2

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.