Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420 (V2 Motherboard)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey everyone!  I have an HP Z420 that I am upgrading for some HD gaming.  I already swapped the processor for a E5 1650 V2 Hexacore and I would like to overclock it.  In order to keep my processor cool while overclocking I got an HP liquid cooler off eBay HP PN: 657398-002.  

First question: Is this the right cooler?  I havent found anything to confirm it so I am hoping someone can. 

Second question: How the heck do I install this thing?  I havent opened my system back up yet to see, but it definitely is more complicated than the standard cooler.   I can understand the 4 screws and piece that fits over the processor, but how is the fan/radiator part installed? Where does the second power cord plug into?  Can anyone point me to a guide?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Missed your first post...

There is an official liquid cooler for the Z420, and the one you reference is not that.  It might fit, but might not.  HP engineered their workstations to a higher standard and fit than the consumer grade Envy PC you are referring to.  

It could be an interesting project to see if yours has the same cooling capacity and could be hacked in to fit.  Here are some pics of an official Z420 one, and I also have posted on use of a Z440 cooler (eBay 749554-001) that fits in the Z420 (and single processor Z620 builds) with double the cooling fin surface area and an increased number of cooling tubes than the stock Performance Z420 (and identical single processor Z620) heatsink/fan.  See also my post in the link  HERE .  Pics of the official one for you:

1 s-l1600.jpg2 s-l1600.jpg3 s-l1600.jpg4 s-l1600.jpg5 s-l1600.jpgInstalled in Z420.jpg

HP Recommended

I started a post in the HP workstation forum where this would perhaps get more responses.  You can access that via the link HERE .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.