Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ZBook 15 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

1. Is there anyone else who's experiencing that stupid Coil Whine noise from his/her ZBook 15 G5?
If so, were there any solution for eliminate permanently that?

2. I'm also curious if someone had a kind of high-frequency whistling also from the bottom of the LCD?

It happened that I bought a 1yr old G5. Since the very first start I experienced a whining from the bottom of the LCD.
If the screen brightness is at minimum or at maximum there's nothing. But as I set the brightness to some other level (ex 10-20-30..-90%) a very high frequency constant whistling is coming back.
During evening when the environment is quieter I hear another strange noise: a kind of random static electrical buzzing from beneath the keyboard.  As I searched the net it's like the coil whining sound.

Both issue is audible regardless the notebook on AC Adapter or on Battery, and also it does not matter what is the volume setting neither if a headphone attached into the jack or not. (so it's not the speaker)

At this moment the notebook is in the HP service, and they said they've replaced the complete motherboard and the complete LCD, but both noise is still there.

Any idea about it ?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

For the ones who are curious about the issue:

1. Within the service center they replaced the complete LCD for fixing the noise during brightness change. (The second LCD was working as the first replacement has short circuit within by default...)
2. For the other whining noise they replaced the complete motherboard, the fans and the cooler unit.
The noise still there. 😑

The notebook is away from me since 3 weeks now... 🙁
I'm wondering when they'll offer a new replacement notebook instead of trying to replace the main parts inside...

HP Recommended

Well, the situation is pretty "funny" here.
For reminder about the original problem:
1. high pitch noise came from the botton of the LCD

2. kind of static electricity noise came from under the keyboard

They've replaced the whole LCD two times.

They've replaced the motherboard with the CPU and GPU.

They've replaced the heat sink and the fans.

Due the noise is still there finally HP Hungary escalated my notebook's problem to L2 service support.
L2 could came up with an idea to upgrade the display firmware... Of course it did not change anything...

They asked my permission to take the notebook to Sofia (Bulgaria?) for L2.

Now they came back to me with a "great" offer:

They'd remove the 250+512 Gb NVME SSDs from the machine and put a single 1 Tb SATA3 into it. (250Gb more as extra courtesy... )

And they're asking me seriously if I accept this workaround...
Are they mad or what?? Do they not know if SATA3 is 7-8 times SLOWER than NVME?

What are they think about why people pay more for a business class notebook rather than performance and reliability?  🤔😠

This whole case is running for 57 days now.... 😠

I asked a completely new notebook, and waiting curiously their response. 

HP Recommended

Hi @pszabo

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanx Kumar, I just replied to you in private.

I appreciate your help!

HP Recommended

For the ones who might follow this thread:

Finally HP offered me a new replacement notebook instead of my G5.
They'll deliver a new G6 with the same specs as my old one.

It took a bit long, but finally it seems my case will end correctly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.