Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Exam HP ZBook 15 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
HP ZBook 15 G5 fan is almost always noisy? Also after updating all drivers and firmware, including NVIDIA  Quadro P2000 graphic card. With this laptop the fans spin up even with very light use, like browsing or opening applications.

Please let me know your experience in this?
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Did you also update the BIOS? the BIOS is in charge of monitoring the heat sensors in the motherboard and turning on the fan as needed to dissipate heat

i wouild also check on Task Manager to see if there are apps or services tapping the CPU... HP Z class systems also support HP Performance Advisor (free) tool that can help identify what the system is doing... terrific tool - https://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/performance-advisor.html

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

My HP ZBook is ridiculously noisy and very annoying. I can't believe anyone would knowingly put a fan this loud in a laptop. It's very distracting.

HP Recommended

can you confirm that your Zbook is updated? please, run HP Image Assistant and perform any and all BIOS and driver updates it suggests... then let us know if the problem persists... BTW, i have been running the same platform for nearly a year and i seldom hear the fan spin up

HP Recommended

Hi I am using this laptop from last two weeks, Updated BIOS, also updated NVIDIA and other drivers using HP tool itself, Still having similar issue of running noisy fan when even just opening any small application like browser etc.

UPDATE: They have said they will replace motherboard of my laptop

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, and three other people that work with me have similar issues (and others including losing functionality of the Function keys, and sound when coming out of sleep). For all of us, the laptop worked fine until late fall 2019 when software updates were pushed out.  I am not sure whether it was Windows 1809 or something else. 

I've also tried all of the HP service pack updates, BIOS updates, etc.  I've used the HP Softpaq program to apply the files HP says should work.  Nothing has fixed this issue.  There are also now two Unknown Devices in Device Manager.  Given that these issues all arose at the same time on 3 different machines, it seems unlikely our issues are hardware related.  However, I can't tell whether there is an HP issue with BIOS or Windows.  Either way I am highly disappointed with my experience with this laptop.

HP Recommended

My company has a service contract with HP. They sent a technician to my home office after I pushed the issue and he replaced something in the laptop and it's been quiet ever since (two weeks now). It might have been the graphics board fan or the whole board, I'm not sure. All I had to do was login and go to work.

So all those BIOS and driver updates did nothing to solve this problem. It's hardware.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Brand new laptop, in fact a replacement of the last and all drivers are updated. How can you get in touch with an hp technician to check the device hardware?

HP Recommended

Hello Soccer Dan,

I have the same problem , we updated all firmware, drivers, ran Performance Advisor, checked BIOS for wrong settings - all with no result. We turn on the machine and almost instantly the fan is running at full speed with permanent noise. I do not see this issue as closed, any idea from your side ?

Best regards

Carsten Löw

HP Recommended

If the fan runs continuously it may be due to the setting in the BIOS that tells it to do that while DC is applied... does it also happen when the laptop is on battery?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.