Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

The fans on my HP ZBook 15 G6 are operating unusually. It seems like the computer tries to use passive cooling as much as possible, but now and then the fans just ramp up aggressively for no apparent reason. It happens despite there not being any heavy load on the system. The fans stay at high RPM for usually a couple of minutes and then shut completely off.

Is it possible to somehow tune the profile of the fans on my laptop so that they will not be ramping up so aggressively? It is discomforting when the fans go from complete silence to full speed and then after a while back into complete silence for no apparent reason. I would rather have it that the fans would stay on longer but remain at a lower speed.

Such aggressive changes in the speed of the fans also make me concerned about their longevity.

Could someone please tell me whether such behavior is normal for the computer or if there could be a problem with for example a fan controller?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The fans are managed by the BIOS and uses fan tables to figure out where/when to speed up the fans... your best bet is to make sure you are using the latest BIOS - HP Image Assistant can help with that

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice. I have installed HP Image Assistant and ran the "Analyze Image" function. It found some outdated software, so I installed everything that was listed in the "Recommendations" section. It seemed like none of it was BIOS-related (as far as I understood).
Is there a fool-proof method of determining whether or not my machine is running on the latest BIOS?

Unfortunately, it seems like updating what HP Image Assistant recommended didn't solve the issue. I'll have to test it for a while though to be sure.

HP Recommended

So after using my ZBook for another 2 months, I can say that unfortunately the problem hasn't been solved. Fans still now and then ramp up to full blast even when there is no heavy load on CPU or GPU, stay there for a while, and then shut completely off. When checking my temps through Windows task manager, GPU rarely goes above 57-60°C (135-140 °F).

Do you think there are other options that I should try to solve this "behavior" or should I rather return the computer as it is still under warranty?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.