3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

HP ZBook G3 Thunderbolt Dock Firmware error

HP Recommended
ZBook G3 15"
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi there,

my ZBook G3 Thunderbolt (60W) Dock seems to be broken after a Firmware Update. Manually upgrading the FW with the Multi-Installert gives me the error message attached.

The dock works but causes an instant reboot after disconnecting the device.

Any ideas on how to reset the dock or get a working FW on it?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Christopher
HP_Dock_Fehler.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
32,042 31,747 2,923 10,669
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@christopherbr

I cannot give you a definitive answer - I don't have the Thunderbolt dock for my Zbook G3 17.

I did find some information in the description page file for HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock Firmware that might at least help you get closer to what has happened.

HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock Firmware

For example, the System Requirements section explains the prerequisites for Windows 10.  The text also warns that once the firmware is indeed updated to 1.53 (for HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock, version 18.0.3.1.3/18.0.4.2.9) that you must stay-with / use Firmware version 1.53 or later.

Section Associated Files provides the Information file for the 1.53A version.  Expand the section and click on Download.  The file does not actually download; it opens in a webpage format.

If the Firmware has not yet updated to 1.53, you may be able to (re)load an older version of the firmware.  Expand the Revision History section > scroll down a bit to see the older available releases.

References

Software and Drivers - HP ZBook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation

sp88126.cva (Version 1.41 Information file)

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
christopherbr
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice. I tried updating the dock FW with rev. 1.53 or earlier before which lead to the screenshot above.

I managed to update the Thunderbolt dock controller driver and FW of the ZBook now, though. This was possible when the dock was not connected, since the process of upgrading the FW apparently tried to disconnect the dock which immediately leads to a reboot.

Right now my ZBook is on the newest driver and FW now and the Dock FW Update told me it needed an upgrade. The upgrade progress, however, ran into another sudden reboot. The dock tells me it has an up to date FW and works fine while connected, a dock disconnect although still leads to an instant reboot.

Any further ideas on how to update the dock FW or hard reset the dock?

Thanks,

Christopher

0 Kudos
soccer_dan
Level 8
Level 8
1,195 1,195 74 153
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Based on the information you provided, you have an incompatible dock for your Zbook 15. The Zbook 15 requires the TB dock with a 150W power supply and you mention a dock with 60W, which was the first generation of the dock that supported only some HP commercial systems. The original Thunderbolt dock had a 65W P/s and there were versions of 150W (Zbook 15) and 200W (Zbook 17) supplies. The original 65W version changed to a 90W version, which still would not be able to power the needs of the Zbook 15

The Thunderbolt docks mentioned above are now obsolete and a new generation came out this year, the G2 model. The TB 3 G2 dock has only 2 versions now, a 120W model to support standard laptops, and a 230W model that supports Zbook 15, Studio, 17, etc.

It looks like you need to upgrade your dock

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@soccer_dan

Thanks.  I did notice the mention of the tiny 60W dock unit and failed to check the significance.  Rats.

@christopherbr

I believe @soccer_dan has provided the solution. 

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
christopherbr
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions. I double checked the dock specs and it says it accepts 19,5V @ (3,3/7,7/9,9 A), so it should be able to support up to 200W and therefore be sufficient.

I reinstalled all drivers and FW and the dock appears to be working until you disconnect it. The graphics driver (tried Nvidias 368, 385 (recommended by HP), 391 (recommended by my company's software distribution) and the newest 415) fails to communicate properly. After disconnecting the dock windows tells me "Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver xxx.xx failed and has been reset" or something similar.

Any suggestions?

Sorry for the chaos...

0 Kudos
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@christopherbr

@soccer_dan has indicated the ZBook 15 G3 requires the specfications supported by the TB 3 G2 - 19.7V @ 230W.

HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 - Datasheet

Part number

HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2 2UK37AA

HP Thunderbolt Dock 230W G2 2UK38AA (not available in the US)

HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 w/ Combo Cable 3TR87AA

Operating voltage and current

19.7 V dc @ 6.1 A – 120W

19.7 V dc @ 11.8 A – 230W

-----------------------------------------------------------

I would guess that the dock is giving you "false hope" that it can handle the requirements power requirements of the ZBook 15 hardware.

My personal experience on the subject is lacking; I cannot advise you further.

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
soccer_dan
Level 8
Level 8
1,195 1,195 74 153
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The only way to confirm if your Thunderbolt dock will work with the ZBook is to make sure the connection to the ZBook has both a usb-c and barrel connector tied together and that the power supply for the dock is either (shows on the label) 150W or 200W... That is for the 1st gen TB dock. The G2 docks look like a cube and the power supply to support the Zbook 15 models comes with a 230W power supply

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation