Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

The IDR is important as it shows us that all drivers are up to date.
However, I'll just believe ya when they say they are, and I we do appreciate you're busy and we want to cut down your downtime.

Tell your support agent 3LS has requested the case be sent to us. 🙂

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended
Please use a different thread for that problem! This one is about the fan problem.
HP Recommended

@sg123 wrote:

You are a legend, may you live to be 102.

My grandmother lived to 102, so it is possible.

But I may be the last person you want on this earth for that long. (I'm not always right in the head. :P)

I am an HP Employee
-----
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

@RBolt wrote:
Please use a different thread for that problem! This one is about the fan problem.

While a separate thread for a different issue is recommended, it's fine, I've got it.

I am an HP Employee
-----
HP Recommended

@iMaxx

Just wondering if the next BIOS will also have fan profile changes for the Zbook 15/17 G3's as well?  I posted a discussion describing my observation:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Zbook-15-G3-Fan-Activity/td-p/5731987

I don't think the G3's are a noisy as the Studio (based upon how the Studio is described), but the 15 G3 does seem to be a bit eager to ramp up the fans to a noticably higher level for little user activity then ramp down.

HP Recommended

@NS8 wrote:

@iMaxx

Just wondering if the next BIOS will also have fan profile changes for the Zbook 15/17 G3's as well?  I posted a discussion describing my observation:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Zbook-15-G3-Fan-Activity/td-p/5731987

I don't think the G3's are a noisy as the Studio (based upon how the Studio is described), but the 15 G3 does seem to be a bit eager to ramp up the fans to a noticably higher level for little user activity then ramp down.

I'm not sure. It's possible as some of the base code used are the same across the line.

I've inquired and will get back to you with a response.

I am an HP Employee
-----
HP Recommended

Hi everybody,

Same problem here with my EliteBook 820 G3. The fan itself is not noisy, it actually produces less noise than my previous 810 G1 although with a slighly higher pitch tone; but in quiet environments (e.g. at home at night) I can clearly hear the fan constantly spinning up and down every 2-3 seconds, often getting on my nerves. It seems to me that it doesn't just happen at idle but even at higher revs, once the speed is supposed to be set and kept stable it starts oscillating. This leads me to believe there are not hysteresis settings set at all, or something along those lines.

I hope for a fix as soon as possible.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi,

Would like to confirm same issue here with the Zbook Studio. HP support in the Netherlands requested me to send some log files, and then reported next morning that there was not going to be a bios fix or whatever, and I should accept that heavy machines make a lot of noise (ignoring that I reported the whining fan to occur at almost idle state, and to be annoying, not loud).

I did some analysis myself, and found that the fans remain quiet at core temperatures below approximately 30 degrees celsius, and step up when the processor gets activated, even if it is just for a few seconds. It may then take minutes to hours of almost no processor activity before anything changes with the fan. The solution might be as simple as to raise the temperature threshold with 10 degrees celsius. I'm not sure what values other laptops use for this.

HP Recommended
Hey iMaxx, I wonder if I could get your advice as you've been so helpful.

HP wanted me to send in my Probook 450 G3 to attempt to fix the fan issue; I did so in the hope something could be done, despite also waiting for this BIOS update. I just received the unit back after a few weeks - the problem is very clearly still there, but they attached a note saying that the processor fan was a bad part, and they replaced it. I had made it very clear what the problem was. Is this a bit of foul play in the sense of pretending to fix the issue? It's a bit annoying having to have it sent to Poland from the UK, and HP pretending to have fixed it. I think there was nothing wrong with the fan, clearly the issue is just as bad as before. I'm annoyed they've wasted my time and are trying to act as if a problem was fixed.
HP Recommended

I confirm to have the same FAN issues on my brand new Probook 650 G2. 

Returned the first unit as DOA, but replacement new unit has exactly the same issue.

Support ticket made on HP support website but unfortunately no answer or solution yet!

I will not recommend any last gen devices to any of our customers until this has been fixed! (even though we reguarly only sell HP hardware).

I've seen too many failures in short period of time. There is definitely a problem with these units.

Please fix it...

EDIT: A new HP support ticket is sent to HP. The Connexant Sound device is randomly not detected on boot of Win 10 Pro x64. A work-a-round for this sound issue is disableling Intel HD Audio device. Then primary sound device is always detected on boot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.